OK-for me, a major anxiety attack-for all you pros, probably no biggie. I have to retime due to a major needle break/jam. I am following the directions in the owners manual. First problem I saw when I removed the needle plate was that the bobbin basket was able to turn freely because the hook retaining finger was completely out of it's notch. I couldn't proceed further with the retiming with it moving around so I repositioned the hook retaining finger. Next I replaced the needle and it's position looks ok so I don't think I need to adjust the needle bar at this point. My problem is when I check the hook/needle clearance, the hook is way too far from the needle. I think I need to loosen the 3 set screws on the rotating shaft, and that is where my question is. When you loosen those screws are you supposed to leave the needle in one position or can you raise/lower it so you can have better access to those screws? If you aren't supposed to move the needle, what type of screwdriver am I supposed to own to be able to loosen the screws? Thanks for any help anyone can give me, Sally

Sally, yes, you will have to move the needle up and down in order to reach those screws! Although a screwdriver that could reach around corners like that would be very useful.....;)

You will probably have to readjust the hook retaining finger, in order to get the hook closer to the needle. Just be careful that the bobbin basket doesn't spin and obstruct the needle. Sometimes it's a real juggling act to get all the pieces lined up properly, but once you've been through the process, it won't intimidate you so much!

Take a breath, think positive thoughts, and keep us posted here how it goes.:)

Archived