don't want to go into business

I was wondering how many Long arm owners aren't in business? I just want to be able to quilt my own quilts and do not intend to quilt for others. I have contacted several long arm businesses in my area to ask questions and with each one, seem to have gotten the brush off. One lady claims to be a long arm dealer.

Penny

Hi Penny,

I just bought a used Millie in early September and while eventually, some business would be nice, it isn't necessary in my case.

I think you will find a number of people with LA's have them for their own personal use. I met a woman at an APQS demo in August who had not even pieced a top together yet who was considering getting one. I'm not much better, as I have three tops right now waiting for me to feel proficient enough not to completely mess them up. :P

Ask all the questions you want or need to here. This is a friendly group and I doubt you will get the brush off.

Gail

Welcome Penny,

I have a used APQS Ultimate I. Originally I was a hobby

quilter. I learned a lot from this forum. I was a lurker for a

while but then asked a question and was amazed by the

response. There's lots of help here.

I fell in love with longarm quilting and after a year of practice

and some classes, I decided to open my business. I still

have a "day job", though.

You have come to the right place to ask questions.

Bring it on.;)

Hi all!

I should be receiving my Liberty from (name removed) in about a week. At this time, I am not planning on doing a lot of quilting for others. But... I've already had a few friends express interest in having me quilt for them. I think I'll play it by ear and see what happens.

I've been kind of a lurker for the past couple weeks, but WOW, what a great source of information! And so many people so willing to answer each and every question! I know you will be here when I need help. In the meantime, I've been playing "cut and paste" and putting info into a word document for review later.

By the way, my name is Mary Burns and I'm in Buda Texas, just south of Austin.

Thank you all!:)

At our last LA group meeting, I think we were at about half pleasure and half business people...I think we had 14 at our last meeting.

I planned to do this as a business...but in about 10 years I will be quilting for pleasure only.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va:)

Penny, I have a Millie with a CompuQuilter. I love to piece and like to quilt. I bought my machine with no intentions of going into business. I've had my Millie about 1 1/2 years and my CQ a little less. I still feel the same way. I want to enjoy my hobby and not feel like I "HAVE" to longarm for others when I really want to piece. I have about 20 tops waiting to be quilted.

I just completed two tops that really need custom quilting and I don't feel I'm up to par to do those. I'm debating about sending them out. One is the Jinny Beyers Around the World and the other is the Harvest Spice that everyone has been doing this year. I also made a Jinny Beyers Patagonia and am debating how to quilt it. I've only seen it done with SID but I want something more - especially something that can be done with the CQ - I guess I need to take a picture and ask others for advice.

Actually, that is the hardest thing for me - deciding how to quilt the top. That is probably why I'm not using the LA as much as I should. I have a real hard time trying to picture what the top will look like with quilting on it and then I can't decide. I did one quilt (a wheel of mystery) - had it on the frame in January for about 3 weeks, took it off, put it back on, and finally in June decided what I wanted to do with it and finally got it quilted. It does look okay and I'm happy with it.

How do others decide what to put on their quilts?

Penny,

I have had my Liberty for three weeks now. I have no intention of going into business at all. I purchased my LA because I wanted to quilt my tops myself when I wanted to, not have to give them to someone and wait a month or two to get them back:o. I also go my LA because it is something new and interesting to learn.:cool:

I had been quilting my own tops with Babylock Professional Quilter and let me tell you, pushing a large quilt top through a machine like that and have to pin and unpin the top sandwich was getting a bit tiresome and a real pain in my back and shoulders.

Some people think I am nuts to buy a LA just for myself, but I say... WHY NOT? People spend this kind of money on other things like vacations, motorcycles, and other toys that people may enjoy. I don't see why we can't purchases a LA for our creative enjoyment and have to go into business!!!!

AND SUE - you asked "how do other decide what to put on their quilts? "

Well, I have a lot of Golden Threads "paper" and I spend time tracing potential pantos or blocks and audition many things on my quilt tops before quilting them. I keep a stash of these "pre-traced" sheets handy and once I see one I really like on the top, I go for it. My biggest challenge is picking thread color!!:D

Hi Penny,

I'm another with a Millie - and its just for ME!!

I've been in business needlepoint finishing and upholstering for years, and really don't want to work on anbody else's quilts.

Millie doesn't get much use at the moment, but I'm closing my business at the end of March, and I expect to give her much more time then.

BTW, you don't need to tell a dealer what your intentions are for the machine. They are supposed to be there to sell you a machine!! If you want to use it as a living room sculpture, that's your business, LOL.

That said, I did all my research on line, and had several conversations with Gammill and APQS. Then I read lots of different long-arm chat sites to see what problems people had with the various machines. And after several months of serious thinking, I bought my Millie.

So I say "Go for it!" If that's the toy you want, you should be able to get it!

And welcome to Mary Burns in Buda - we're neighbors!

Mary

Bee Cave, TX

Hi Penny,

I, too, also have a millie. I bought my machine a little over one year ago and I bought it for myself.

I quilt for myself basically, but do about 5-6 charity quilts per month. I felt blessed that we could afford the machine and that I didn't have to go into business to pay for it.

In our local guild, there are a variety of quilters that have long arm machines. I can't think of one that makes a living with their LA. Several do for themselves or for their friends, only one is set up in a shop.

Char

Hi Penny, Love your name.

In our area, Central Oregon, we have a large group of longarm quilters and I'd say about half of them are only quilting casually for themselves and friends. About 5% of us are really working for the income but I don't know of any who rely on this as their sole income. The good news for you is the professionals often get burned out about the time their machines are finally paid for. You won't get frazzled over pricing, dealing with customers' expectations, paying the bills or deadlines!

The good news for those of us who established ourselves as a business is that we get to quilt LOTS of quilts and different styles of quilts. It gets you through the learning process so much sooner than if you only quilt for yourself. I would suggest you offer to quilt church or guild charity projects to get yourself up and going on the machine faster.

The nicest thing about quilting as a favor. They LOVE you for it. I still receive so many nice Thank You cards and little gifts for quilting charity projects even though by now it's somewhat expected of me that I will do some of that for my guild and my church.

Have a great time, enjoy! Eva

Hi, all,

I use my machine for my hobby. I do have a couple of people who ask me to quilt for them, and I do it. It can be stressful, though. I also have had a couple of mothers-to-be and grandmothers-to-be ask me to make quilts for the coming baby. That is a LOT of fun.

I do have huge trouble deciding how to quilt a quilt. I really like it that magazines like Fons and Porter are adding the how to quilt detail to their patterns as well as regularly including articles for machine quilters.

I read a hint on this site that I use, too. I spread the quilt on my work table and COMPLETELY cover it with clear plastic that I purchased off the roll at my local hardware store. I bought the thickest type they had. Then I draw or trace the design I would like to use, with erasable markers. This works really well for me, but you must avoid the awful pitfall of accidentally drawing on the quilt top. I can't even think about that. Yikes!

Other than that......posting a picture on this site and asking for advice is a great way to get ideas. I have done that several times, and it gets me going in the right direction.

Volunteer with Quilts of Valor to get some extra experience. It's not without a little stress cause you are working on someone else's quilt, but it is for a good cause.

My Millie and CQ were installed in August. I turned my walk-out basement into my studio and love it. I created my first LA design for the CQ within a day (a quick one), and within a week created Winnie, Tigger and Piglet to quilt on a baby blanket. The quilt took months to piece, the quilting took less than two hours. Now that's just plain fun!! I could never have quilted such a hard repeatable pattern without the CQ. What a great escape the Millie and CQ are for me. I just wish I had more time to play. My job as a tech writer is very demanding with lots of demanding deadlines right now; so having a great hobby with a LA is very rewarding. I will eventually grow and look for business when I plan to retire (@8 years), but for now, I couldn't ask for a better escape and mental therapist than Millie and CQ.

Hi Penny,

I am another one that has no intention of quilting as a business. I have sewn all my life but never had the time to quilt until I retired (almost five years ago). My great grandmother hand pieced and hand quilted many, many quilts, and I always wanted to continue the tradition. My first quilts were small wall hangings and lap quilts; machine pieced, but hand quilted. When I graduated to bed sized quilts, I bought a Gracie frame and continued to hand quilt them. When my friends and family began asking me to make them queen and king sized quilts, I realized there was no way I could do them all by hand. My Millie was the answer! We are humming right along, having the time of my life.

This is a reply for Sue who wanted to know how to decide what designs to use when you are planning for the actual quilting. Right now I have an applique quilt thats really stumping me on what to do, so I know the feeling! Sherry Rogers Harrison posted a message in the forum awhile back with a link to a photo show that had pictures showing how she uses a plastic overlay with drawn out quilt designs on that that she placed over the quilt to audtion design ideas which I thought was an awesome idea.

Also, I found a book that was really helpful, Choosing Quilting Designs and I've got on my list to buy, Encyclopedia of Designs for Quilting. Another great idea is to take your camera and photograph quilts at quilt shows that you really like to study quilting strategies and then start to brainstorm ideas in a notebook. Ideally, if you can begin to plan your quilting design right up front when you make all your other decisions about what you will make with pattern, fabrics etc., it can be really helpful.

We also bought the Millenium in March as I had about 45 tops I had made over the years. I cut off my left thumb in 2003 and have no feeling in it to do hand quilting anymore. Did do about seven hand quilted but each took two years. Now with the Millenium and also the HV Mega Quilter I am down to only about 15 to go. I gave a lot away to relatives and some church bazaars. I still have a lot I want to maybe sell so I can buy more fabric. (not that I need anymore) It is an addiction but what else is there that I can do. BTW the bride and bridesmaids all picked up their dresses. The wedding is tomorrow. Don't want to work on Red for awhile.

I did let one of my friends use the Millenium to do one of her tops, she took to it with no problem. She said before she started that she did not like the top she was quilting but when it was done she loved it. She just did a Meandering Panto. It took her 6 hours (not in one day) She timed it and told me she owed me 6 hours of housecleaning or whatever else she could do for us. She came over with her Dyson and went through the whole house, Fair deal for me, I don't clean much, can't even remember when I did vacuum.

Oh - I like the idea of that last post!! I had a buddy make me some yo-yo -

because she IS the yo-yo Queen!! In exchange for basting a quilt for her..

I like the house cleaning idea - have to remember that one!!:D

Penny - thats too bad about those others - they must feel

that you will take business away from them..... do you think

they lack just a bit of confidence!? I have one a few towns

over that is always so rude to me..... hmmm..... how does

anybody get a local LA support group going at that rate!?:mad:

And yes I do it as a business, but my machine was paid in full - bought it

used - love to quilt! I will say that I wish I had more time for my stuff and

such, but right now we need the $$ for other bills. I am having fun - love to

see all of the different fabrics and color combos and I also get more ideas

of things I want to do - and also NOT ever do!! Hope it stays fun - doesn't

seem too much like work - and yes - it is in my living room!

Plus I only work at it a few hours a day, when I want too. When I am hot

I can put on the ceiling fan, if I am cold, I flip on the gas fireplace behind

me. Love to look out the huge patio door (12' x 8') as I work - can't wait

for it to start snowing!!!!!!:P

Hello Penny: I am the owner of a Millie and at this time I am still undecided as to whether I will go into business myself. I still work full time, but will retire sometime between March and June of '07. I am use to a paycheck---so will I be satisfied with a smaller retirement check---I don't know. I guess I will decide later. But for now I am enjoying quilting for myself. I definitely do not miss the pushing and shoving of the quilt through my Bernina's small opening. I still love my Bernina and would not give it up for sewing, but it gathers dust when I am quilting with Millie. My husband would actually prefer I do not go into business. But he says the decision is up to me. He is a real prince and " love is lovlier the second time around". For an unrelated question: Is there any harm to the machine if you use "some" liquid silone on a cone of thread? Good luck Penny:)

Silicone on thread

Jo, I attended Sharon Schambers stippleing class at the show on Wednesday and silicone on thread was one of the topics. She says that it vertually eliminates the thread breakage, fraying, and fuzz problems. She also said the there is a specific type of silicone. It's not the stuff in a spray on bottle, that stuff will gum up the machine. She said she sells it but I didn't see it on her website, maybe could email her about it. She was talking about Liquid silicone, dropping the entire sone of thread or bobbins into it and letting it sit there until it stops bubbling. Then take it out and set it on a paper towel for a minute and the straight onto the machine. she pputs a little wad of batting in the first hook when threading the machine for the thread to pass over. I asked Mark about this when he was going over the compuquilter and machine with me at the APQS booth that evening and he said it wouldn't hurt the machine but you would still have to clean as usual to keep the silicone from building up, just wipe things down I guess, but that it wouldn't get sticky and gummy. Says it also works on DSM's, and that after awhile you'll start seeing dry thread on the cone again adn to just soak the cone again, the silicone only soaks in about 1/3 of the way into the cone so you have to do it about three times per cone. She also mentioned a Bobbin Genie, a little teflon disc that goes in the bobbin case to eleminate static and that's what causes backlash and tension problems.

I have no idea, I don't have my machine yet but the topic was discussed in class so i thought I'd pass it along.

Hi....just saw this topic. I bought my Millie in February w/ the idea of "someday" making it a business. But it is so much fun doing my own that I probably won't do that for a while. Maybe when the last one goes off to college in a few years. I consider it the same way I consider my husbands golf club membership. We each have things we love to do! This site is great for ideas, support and info. May I also suggest longarmchat.com which you pay a nominal subscription fee....but it is wonderful. I love both sites and check them just about everyday. Have learned so much here. Have fun with your new machine and use if how you like. Doesn't matter what anyone else says.;)

Archived