Best batting for warmth ???

I have a part of a roll of Thinsulate that does a great job on warm without a heavy weight to it. This roll is a very fluffy one, but it quilts down well, can be folded compact to store and pops right back to size (in the quilts too.) Would you like some? It is 60 inches wide, just right for a single person cover up quilt. I have used it for years and machine wash and dry my quilts without a problem at all.

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

I have a part of a roll of Thinsulate that does a great job on warm without a heavy weight to it. This roll is a very fluffy one, but it quilts down well, can be folded compact to store and pops right back to size (in the quilts too.) Would you like some? It is 60 inches wide, just right for a single person cover up quilt. I have used it for years and machine wash and dry my quilts without a problem at all.

That sounds just like what I am wanting..........where did you buy it? I was also thinking about the QD Wool batting.

Thinsulate was created for garment and deco projects Like quilted vests and placemats. It's very very thin now if that's what your looking for that's your batting. It's not even as thick as flannel so don't be surprised when you first see it. My go to year around batting is wool. Love the drap. Love that it's cool on the summer and warm spring fall and winter.

If that Thinsulate is so thin, it might be hard to get a good stitch to form, you think? Perhaps not enough room for the threads to lock within the batting, similar to the thinnest batting that QD sells, Request, which is not recommended for longarms.

But I bet you could combine it with a very thin batting??

The Thinsulate is not as thin as you have seen in the commercial garments and gloves. This is thicker than any of the Warm and Natural cottons and many of the poly. It also is lighter to lay under it when it has been quilted than either the cotton or the bamboo that I have used. It sounds really weird but I have been using it for 15 years and has held up well and has never been heavy in "pound" weight in my quilts.

I get it from 3M Company directly. They deliver it right to my house. Minimum order has to be 3 rolls. I do plan to get more but would get the midweight rolls instead of this one that I have. I think someone sent the wrong stuff the last time.

Linda, if you are interested in some, contact me and we can see what works out. I do plan to go to Des Moines for the "yurt" show!

Guest Linda S

I've got a big poofy roll of Thinsulate under my longarm too. It is not thin. They used to sell it in packages at JoAnn's and I used to be able to get it from Checker Dist. Now I think you can only get it from 3M. It's nice batting, keeps you warm, and it's not really expensive. You can quilt it up to 11" apart.

I have just used their 800 number. Let me go get it. 800-328-1667 or Fax 800-542-9373. Give them a call and ask them to send you samples and the fact sheet for the different weights. When I first ordered they had 3 different thicknesses. My preference is the middle one. I think this last time I ended up with the third (fattest) one. If they have it in stock it doesn't take long to have it arrive.

This is most interesting. Things do change and I know I'm not in all the loops like I once was so do apologies to Thinsulate. I had no idea they had more than one weight of batting. I will look into getting some of the others. I like the feel but it's always been so thin I only use it In Vests and deco projects.

Just adding my 2 cents on Thinsulate. I love to work with Thinsulate, and I have probably 6 different weights on rolls right now. The down side of using Thinsulate, is that it is only 60" wide on rolls. So you need to "seam" it. However, the batting tape does not work with this, you will melt the Thinsulate. With that being said, Thinsulate will stick to it self and not shift. I have been using alot of the thinest Thinsulate this year, and have no tension issues.

My family loves Thinsulate in their quilts, and the throws I have around the house. I do not use this in customer quilts, this is just for my personal quilts. Retail cost of Thinsulate is really expensive and not many customers would want to pay that price for it.

That Thinsulate is a little pricey for only 60" wide. Not sure I want to spend that much on what I am making. Think I will just use the Dream Puff or Dream Wool.............I can get it wider and less money.

I have a big roll of Dream Puff and really like how it handles. I used the wool once just to try it and liked it as well.

Linda,

I have never paid that much. Call the 800 number that I posted above and see what they will do for you. When I called years ago, I was asking where I could purchase Thinsulate. I was told that I could order right from them. I don't remember if I even needed a tax ID number (I may have used the one my husband had) I go ahead and pay the tax since I use it for myself and if I want to give or sell any the tax has already been taken care of. My rolls have ended up being in the range of just over $100. per roll. When I have gotten 3 rolls it comes double plastic wrapped (compressed) and I have stored extra rolls in the garage rafters or tucked in the eaves of the A-frame. It can store a long time and still be good.

Hope you find the right batting for you.

Archived