A different "funny stich"

Hey, I was just reading the funny stitch post, and thought maybe you guys could answer another question.

I am using harmony variegated cotton thread with the magna-quilt cotton bobbins. The milli stitches just fine,good tension top and bottom, but every now in then it throws in a loopy stitch or two. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. It happens randomly and while stitching in different directions. The loops aren't huge, just enough to be noticed if you are looking.

Any ideas?

I find with the cotton or slick threads they sometimes "throw" themselves off the spool and it travels quickly down to the needle, thus making a loop. To combat this I put a piece of batting in the thread guide above the spool and this "catches" the thread and prevents it from traveling too fast down the path. This takes away the loopie problem.

thanks everyone. I posted this, then got so busy I forgot to check back for answers! I have the batting in the thread guide, but I guess I should have tightened the top tension a little.

I finished the quilt finally, but I ripped out two of the borders, and redid them. Now you can see the stitching tracks from the previous quilting. Any ideas on how to get them to fade away? It's not batik. In fact it's probably pretty cheap fabric. Doesn't really have a very good feel to it.

Archived