How Do You Piece a Curved Border?

I have a quilt top to which I want to add a double curved border. My vision is to have the accent border curve follow the outer border curve. Can someone explain to me how to cut and piece it? I will cut the outer curve after the quilting is complete.

I looked at Sharon Schamber's Piece-lique book but I'd rather piece than applique the border. Renae Haddadin's "Beauty from Within" has a similar border, but I would like mine to have more curves.

http://quiltsonthecorner.com/gallery

I am a better "show-er" than a "teller"-- this technique works well but requires either piping or rick-rack to be successful.

On the inside border piece mark your curves on the right side of the fabric.

Take rick-rack or bias piping and sew the full length on the marked curves.

Turn the edge under along the stitched line--the piping or R-R will now be the edge of the border piece. Trim the seam allowance to a half-inch.

Lay the full outside border piece down--right side up. Arrange the first piece where you want it--also right side up. This is what the outside border will look like when finished. Pin all along the piping to secure the two pieces.

Stitch with matching thread in the ditch of the piping or as close to the seam of the rick-rack as you can.

Go back and trim the other seam allowance to a half-inch. If you use rick-rack, press it to whichever side you like. If you use piping it press the seam allowance to whichever side looks best.

This does add another accent to a border, but it is so easy and looks so difficult.

Photo attached for illustration purposes!

post--13461906949064_thumb.jpg

There is another way to just add curves in seams that I have done, doesn't need trimming or added trim pieces.

Lay the two fabrics together (side by side) like they will be on the finished product (right sides up on each), be sure they overlap the depth that you want the curve to be, (will the valley of the curve be the same as the hill of the curve? be sure that the bottom fabric comes under enough to meet the hills and valleys).

Cut through both layers with the curve design of your choice (wavy, or hill and valley curves). Remove the skinny strips of both fabrics.

Lay the outside fabric over the inside border fabric right sides together. Sew the seam slowly as you match the edges through each hill and valley of curve.

Open out the fabrics and press the seam.

It sounds confusing, but it does work well.

The technique Madelyn refers to is in the book "Cutting Curves frim Straight Pieces" by Debbie Bowles. Is easy to do as long as you don't make you r curves to steep.

Another way is to actually make a facing of the curve and then have it appliqued to the background fabirc or even hanging free, similar to what it appears Linda's Linen did.

Lyn

Archived