Lots of questions re Tension Troubles..... adding batting

This is a bed runner 103" wide and 39" long.

I am using Rainbows ( Brasillia Blue ) for the top and so fine ( Pearl ) for the back, 4.0 needle...Hobbs 80/20 ( pre pkg ..very thin ) batting. The backing fabric is very light. I am getting little blue dots on the back every now and then....Now I am getting blue in the face...UGHHHH.

I have adjusted everything...

I was wondering...if I placed another layer of batting.. it might would give the thread more space to meet in the middle instead of the back!

I have never used 2 layers of batting....will I need to raise the foot on my Millie... How will I tell if I need to raise the foot and then ...how do I do that.

2 layers of batting would just give the quilting more definition ...correct????

Thanks for your help !!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Starla

Starla - I can't answer all your questions but I will try to help with a couple. I have used 2 layers of hobbs 80/20. I did not have to raise my foot. And yes it will give your quilting more definition. I love using 2 layers for my personal quilts. Good luck and some one else should be answering the rest of your questions soon.

i've used 2 layers of 80/20 and didn't change my hopping foot either. it looks nice, too.

i use a 3.5 needle for rainbows. actually, i use a 3.5 needle for everything these days.

i like 9 for stitch length on varigated thread so you can see it better.

the first thing i try for occasional pokies is to slow down.

if that doesn't work, i'd fiddle with the tension a bit - tighten the top just a bit.

no for the disclaimer, i am not an expert. if someone contradicts what i have said, assume they are right. ;)

Archived