Looking at staring buisness

My3daisies

I am looking at the possiblity of starting a longarm quilting buisness. I was at a Road Show yesterday and love the machines. I called 4 quilter in the area and they each have bwtween 2 and 4 mohth waiting list. I still have mor eto contact. In any ones opinion if theses numbers stay the same do you think I could get buisness and make some money doing this? I need to at least pay for the machine if not more.

Thank you,

Angela

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

There are a lot of variables in any money making enterprise.  Going into business is not simply a matter of buying a machine and setting up shop.  Much of it is attitude, and skill.  If you have not run a longarm before, expect mistakes, and a realistic learning curve.  Expect calls in the middle of the night, unrealistic deadlines, pieced quilts that are so wonky that other more experienced quilters turn away.... and don't be afraid to say no if your skills are not up to par.  I had a friend who took in a quilt knowing it had issues... and the owner then nit-picked it to death.  My friend handed to the woman and told her no charge... and please do not bring another quilt.  It is not worth the hassle and worry to argue over.  Anyway, if you feel you are up to it, do a few of your own quilt tops to make the mistakes on... then dive in with both feet.

Archived