bali pop strip quilt ?

meg

hi - looking for a quick answer and this was the first place i tried...

does anyone know the finished size of those strip quilts that use bali pops sewn end to end, folded, sewn, cut, folded, sewn, cut etc?

i know some of you have made them, and if i could get an approximate size i would be most grateful...

thanks!

;)

They all come out a bit different - have made several. Depends on the number of strips included in the pkg. All are more like decent sized lap quilts. Can add sashing/borders to make closer to a twin. I doubled the purchase of precut strips for one and it was perfect - not quite huge for a cuddle up on the couch.

Math time. Say for simplicity that you've got a pack of 40 strips. each strip is 40.5" x 2.5". Subtract the .5 from the 40 for the seams. That leaves 1600" (1 strip wide). /2 = 800 (2 strips wide) , /2=400 (4 strips wide), /2= 200 (8 strips wide) /2=100 (16 strips wide) (so if you wanted a king size quilt with a narrow stripe of the pattern it'd be 99.5" x 32.5", finished), /2 = 50" (32 strips wide) (so if you wanted this size it'd be 49.5" x 64.5", a thoroughly decent size for a couch.).

It's early and I've only had one tea, so if someone wants to check my math, please do. Again, this pre-supposes that the strips are 40.5". If it's 42", or 36", or even worse if they're all different, it gets more difficult, but that should give you a basic frame of reference. This also assumes you're not camphoring the edges, like you would for binding. You'll lose some that way but I'm not good enough at math to figure that out off the cuff :)

Very good explanation and your math skills are awesome!

If Meg wants to add a set to make it larger, I would recommend she make two separate sets and then sew the two together. Two sets sewn into one strip gives a 3200 quilt instead of a 1600 quilt and that first seam will take hours!!:cool:

I did one but didn't like it. It seemed unbalanced. Most of the joins were on the left side, and not distributed through the quilt. I plan to take mine apart and re-do it. Perhaps, watch where the joins are so you can manipulate where you want them by cutting and resewing some of them.

Well, if you didn't camphor the ends, what you could do is simply turn some of the strips upside down, placing the join on the other side - that being said, that's what freaks me out when I try to do "random" stuff. :)

I suppose if you really needed something in a hurry, these would do, but they really hold no appeal for me. If you've already got the strips cut, there are so many nice jelly roll or strip quilts you could make. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't really care for them. Of course, that's why there are so many different ways to make a quilt. Everybody likes something different! ;)

ecmoore...I am toying with the idea of recutting the pieced together strips with a square ruler and then maybe cutting again on the diagonals, to make it look more like a string quilt or stratavarious idea. But, I haven't yet layed the ruler on it, so this may look bad, as well. I'll figure something out when I have more free time. The roll I used was a Bali and the fabrics are so pretty, so I will have to do something with it. Even if recutting it turns the quilt into a table runner. :P

That re-cutting idea might be really pretty! Or even cut across the seamed ends, flip the resulting strips, mix, and re-sew. That would give you a (much smaller) scrappy top. Unfortunately it completely negates the "quick and easy no seams to match" part that this quilt promotes!

My small group tried these for some charity quilts after swapping strips from our stashes. I opted for all the same value in the strips. The jelly roll packs usually have a full line of fabric represented and thus all values in the pack. Since you can't control the placement of strips, the tops look harsh and mis-matched to me even though all the fabric colors are pretty. I had seen some on Doodlebugs blog which were pieced straight across instead of angled like binding and that also appealed to me. Sorry I don't have a photo, but with matching values, straight joining, and a small border mine was very pretty and "calm" looking.

This Jelly Roll quilt measures approx. 68" x 64. Center portion of the quilt is completed with 40, 2-1/2" strips of fabric with added 2" purple sashing and 4" border surrounding the strips. Quilting completed with the Circle Lord "Sakura" template board. I used the new Superior Omni thread on the top in "Magic Magenta" color and in the bobbin. Hobbs 80/20 batting.

post--13461906991909_thumb.jpg

My quilting group made the Jelly Roll quilts at a sewing day last month. It was fun and interesting to see how different each one looked with the different colors. Some used the purchased Jelly Rolls and a couple others cut their own 40 strips from their stash..........any and all colors. Fun.

Not sure if any one mentioned that you cut 18" off the first strip to get the staggerd effect when strips are sewn together. If you don't cut a piece off the first strip you will have your joins all close together (ask me how I know), A fun quilt. I took five strips from the Bali pop roll then added five coordinationg strips and also added a 3" border all around;then use the five strips for the binding. I have already given mine away so I am not sure how big it actually was. I quilted mine with the Circle Lord Meander template and used flannel for the backing. Turned out great and was quick and fast.

Thank you Kathy, Corey, Gable and Donna---

I did two of the Jellly Roll quilts at our last Quilt Retreat. There were about 15 of us that participated in a "Jelly Roll Race". Many finished the center jelly roll top in about an hour.

I truly feel adding a thin outer border sashing and larger border finishes of these type quilts very nicely. Also it gave me a good opportunity to use two of my Circle Lord template boards. I know some quilters feel the using the jelly rolls this way is not appealing, but we all had a Fun Time doing the the race at retreat. I wish you could see them in person---the pictures don't do them justice. And certainly the "fun" part of it cannot be measured by the resulting quilt! After Show n' Tell at our upcoming retreat, I plan to donate them to our Guilds Donation Quilt Program.

This is a pic. of the second Jelly Roll quilt quilted with the Circle Lord "Cosmos" template board.

post--13461907003463_thumb.jpg

Archived