Straight Line Quilting

Okay. So I'm working on a quilt this afternoon that is not unlike the jelly roll race quilt. What I want to do (this one is one of mine - the FIRST one of mine I've managed to squeeze in in the last four months :) is a simple stripe shadowing the seam at a quarter inch. (it's just strips of fabric, 2x wof) I *think* what I need to do is just stabilize both edges (very well) and then go across either with a ruler or a channel lock, and roll as I go. Does this sound correct? I've already half quilted this one three times, so I don't really want to rip it out AGAIN. (BSR then walking foot then BSR again.)

I think the channel locks will work well for this quilting. As you start each individual line of stitching, do a dry-run by placing the hopping foot with the edge on the seam, engaging the lock and pushing the head along. As you go, check that the foot is staying in the correct position along the seam. If it starts to veer off, push or pull the fabric seam into correct spacing and pin to stabilize it. Then when you stitch with the locks on the distance from the seam will stay the same. I guess it's best to keep it all squared up with each pass so any distortion won't magnify with every pass. Don't stabilize the edges with stitching since you may need to adjust all along.

Or course, if you use a ruler, it won't be as important to keep the seam exactly horizontal.

When faced with this type of stitching where any spacing that isn't exact will show, I usually opt for a horizontal "squiggle stitch", which is just as dramatic and very forgiving. That's why I call myself a lazy quilter!;)

If you are talking BSR sounds like you are using a domestic machine, and the easiest way then is to use the side of the walking foot . It may be more than 1/4" though.

But if you now have a longarm it would be easier with a ruler, unless you are absolutely CERTAIN that you have it pinned on and stitched/pressed perfectly straight.

Lyn

This quilt has been the bane of my existence for about 2 years. I am one hundred percent certain that it is ramrod straight. Because I have taken each seam apart. Twice. (That was how I found out that my bernina has a serious feed issue, despite what my dealer says.) I started with the walking foot with one design, wasn't sure about it, took it apart. Started with the walking foot, wasn't sure about that, took it apart. Then started with the bsr again.... whereupon my cat decided to... ahem... christen it. I got mad, washed what I could, and now I'm trying to quilt it so I can actually put it in a washing machine. It's made entirely of Kona, so it frays like CRAZY and I don't want to put it in the wash until I get that done. It's also a monster of a quilt, about 90" x 120"

Archived