thread

Hi I need help I am quilting a quilt with black batting. They want me to use tan thread on the top and I was going to use black thread in the bobbin but I can see the black thread poking through once in a while. Do you thing this is because the needle holes are big? Should I not use black in the bobbin ?

alot depends on how thick your batting is, a very thin batting is harder to balance the two different colored threads. If the batting is thicker the balance becomes a bit easier. If it is too thin in order not to see any pokeys you will need a really good tension and still you may see a little pokey here or there. Usually once the quilt is washed they don't show. But if there is alot you might be better off to match the thread or use a thicker batting. Hope this helps.

I am fairly certain that I have heard other people on this Forum say they have used monofilament in the bobbin (I have not). Do you have a tan and black variegated that you could use on the top? It might make everything blend better. I'd loosen your top tension a bit, so the black bobbin doesn't come up so much. Perhaps the bobbin thread could be a more neutral brown, rather than black???

It can be done, I would just play with the tension, you may need to loosen the top and/or tighten the bottom just a little, it is just a tug of war game between the two. If you have a batting that is not too thin, it sure makes life easier. I have finally gotten to where I'll agree to use two colors IF the batting is a little thicker..otherwise it just causes way too much stress and who needs stress when you are quilting?

Archived