Blade sharpener for rotary

YES! The Truecut Power Sharpener from the Grace Company works great. It will not smooth out the big dings you get if you run your blade straight into your ruler, but it will sharpen dull blades. They are about $65, but if you have a vendor account, you can get them at the wholesaler for about half that. The sharpener will do 28mm, 45mm, and 60mm blades. I have one and I really like it. I've begun sharpening blades for other people as a small side-line to my business.

Yep - I forgot to say that I've tried the hand-held ones that you rotate back and forth yourself (worthless!). We also had a chat about this on Machine Quilter's Resource, and a few people bought the one from Grace that is just a small track you run your blade down. That did not prove to be satisfactory for those who bought it. The electric one DOES work. Sometimes, if your blade is in bad shape, you do need to leave it in there for a bit longer. You will need honing oil (it comes with a small bottle) and will eventually have to replace the sharpening stones (it does come with one extra set).

Linda

Archived