lindasewsit

Youtube on putting binding on w/ longarm?

Does anyone know if there is a youtube out there that shows how to put the binding on with your longarm? I want to do that, but not really sure how to do it. Thanks for any info! linda

B3FC2919DC089FF0E59CD167809B91DF.png

Linda Gibbons

Cabin Creek Quilting

APQS Freddie (aka, Gracie ll)

Hand guided

Linda Taylor has a spot on one of her epidsodes, but it is in the "subscription" section of The Quilting School (I have learned alot wathcing her videos and recommend the subscription for new LA quilters).

C5020C995E687C0D98C28C32DBCD1A0F.png

Kelly Summers

Prairie Sage Quilts

prairiesagequilts.com

Just my way to walk you through it, sort of ... watch the videos and you'll get the hang of it.

1. make binding; fold over, press as always

2. find middle of strip of binding and mark with safety pin

3. roll up each end to middle. hold each end with a rubber band.

4. after quilting first row, lay binding out along top, with center (marked with pin) at center of quilt top...raw edges to outside.

5. stitch from center to left side.

6. miter that corner and stitch down left side as far as first row of quilting goes.

7. return to center of binding at top and stitch from center to right side

8. miter right side corner and stitch down right side as far as first row of quilting goes.

9. keep ends of binding in rolls held with rubber bands.

10. roll quilt to next section to be quilted.

11. after quilting, lay binding down each side and stitch.

12. roll quilt and proceed to end.

13. miter each of the end corners

14. somewhere along bottom of quilt, finish off the binding. i do the 'fold one end down, insert other end and stitch down'. i always stitch close the part where the two bindings meet up at the bottom.

I haven't tried putting on my binding on the LA yet. I watched a video recently about joining the ends of the binding and the woman making the video, Marci Baker mentioned that she does not press her binding strips in half, just folds them as she goes. I just tried that on my last quilt and found it made hand stitching on the binding much easier. The binding went around the corners more easily and there were none of the tight spots that sometimes happen where there doesn't seem to be quite enough fabric to fold over the seam. So after many years of pressing my binding strips in half it looks as though I can save myself a little time and miss that step. Now I have to pluck of the courage to try binding on the LA.

Sue

24D32CBE5BBA870354340E86069CB492.png

I have been attaching all of my bindings with my Lenni since the second quilt that I quilted on him (over 2 years ago now....) and I will never go back to using my DSM for it. I had watched Linda Taylor's video and tried it and it went so slick that now I do it for everything, even placemats and table runners and everything that I quilt. :cool:

7DB2A4AC89F5B22F06C2F6E830E59F15.pngHandquided 2009 Lenni - BLISSED :):)

I charge a flat rate for stitching binding on with the longarm. I also posted about a year ago the invisible joining technique--just like you would do on your DSM, but with the quilt still loaded. Someone with better computer skill than I have might post a link to that tute.;) It was around Christmas last year....

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Guest Linda S

I quilt the whole quilt, then attach the binding starting at one of the sides. When I've sewn all the way around, mitering the corners, I let the quilt go really slack where the binding join will be, mark the mitered seam, and then pull it over to the edge of the quilt and use the machine and my extended base to sew that seam. Then I let the join lay on the quilt edge and finish the seam for the binding. When I'm done, I take the quilt off, trim it, and it's ready for folding over the edge and stitching.

Chermitch, Hi! I just went to that site for the longarm tool, and this is JUST what I am looking for to help me do this better! Do you have one? I was confused by the sizes. I thought the Apqs Millie had a 1/2" foot, but she has the APQS listed under 9/16" foot. Anyone able to help me with this? Thanks! And thank you all for the input! I love this place!!!:P linda

B3FC2919DC089FF0E59CD167809B91DF.png

Linda Gibbons

Cabin Creek Quilting

APQS Freddie (aka, Gracie ll)

Hand guided

Hi Linda,

The 9/16" is what will work. You will need the play for the hopping foot to slide in the slot. The tool works well--I think because both sides of the binding are compressed and that keeps it from shifting.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com