What is the most unique quilt....

that you have ever quilted?

I think I just did mine today. It was a diaper quilt. Yes, you read it right. This woman took her daughter's diapers and sewed them together in rows. They are cleaned quite well, if you are wondering. She left the extra strip of padding down the center. The diapers are also printed in various prints so it wasnt' white.

Popcorn panto was great on the quilt.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Guest Linda S

I had one with homespun for the sashing and borders, blocks made of sticky pictures with machine embroidery around them. It was not square, not flat, and had gaps where the homespun had come apart from the seams. I quilted it and sent it back to the customer. She was thrilled!

Linda

Linda,

Don't you just love it when you get a poorly constructed quilt, do your best quilting it and then the customer is thrilled. I know it always makes my day.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Ps..I debated about photos...it is not the most interesting...I haven't decided...I should probably take them cuz someone is going to want to see it.

yes I've made one that I have yet to see another one done the same materials. My husband drives race cars and must wear a 3 layer suit that is made from fire retardant material. The company that provided his suit was kind enough to afford me a box of scraps from several orders. These scraps were sewn into a window pane style stained glass motif. Thread used was fire retardant as well. the batting is of another fire retardant material and so is the backing. All told this quilt will give you 17 seconds before flame will burn thru. I keep one next to my bed and fireplace. He also has one for the pits when he's racing endurance races. I've included some samples I made in seeing if the material was worth the trouble. It is very heavy in hand and I wore out two 25+ year old dsm to get the final 3 I did.

Your so right. I used a #16 needle, but my biggest trouble was getting the material layers to move thru the feed dogs. I had a top feeder attached and it helped to keep the layers stationary but lots of physical exertion to get it to move well. They are done now.

One of my biggest reasons to skope out the chat rooms is to find a LA that has the muscle to deal with these heavier layers. I have orders for custom fire quilts and need a good machine.

I apoligize for my pic problem. I'm pretty new at this still. The first quilt is not out of "Nomex" material. It is cotton and made for a club member. He works corners at the track and wanted to see them in the quilt. Can you guess which tracks they are?!

i had done baby ones before but this one was huge and of all her babies clothes..said it took the lady that put it together a month to do it. not to mention it took me almost a week to quilt it. but it was so cute little girls name is daisy and she made it shape of daisy:

I tried to post a reply with picture attachment, but who knows where it went! I quilted a bra quilt for a customer-it was for her 60th birthday and all her friends gave her their bras. The only problem I had was that they all had been padded and the quilt wouldn't fit on the machine. I had to have her remove the stuffing in the bra cups. Hope I can get a photo for you to see-it was a hoot!

Sue Tennill

McKinney, TX

Sue - you just HAVE to find a photo! What a very funny idea! Love the

Daisy quilt too, how sweet!

As for the diapers...... well you can have that prize Cheryl! I bet that would

be kind of cute - if they are printed or even dyed and such.....hmm... still

the thought! I will pass this on to a lady in our guild who has already dyed

all of her burp towels / diapers such cute colors she just might make one!

Archived