Studio away from home

quiltingmotherof4

I am thinking about moving my studio out of my home and into a separate studio 5 blocks away. The only negative I can see is the expense. It is really worth it? It is a great space with lots of windows and 1600 square feet. Oh the quilting I could do in that space!! I'm curious to hear from those who have faced this decision and what the outcome was. THANKS. Michele

If curious viewers and foot traffic will get you more business, it might be a good idea. If you may want to use it as a retail space eventually, it might be a really good idea. If you just want to get away from the distractions at home so you can be creative, building a studio or remodeling your home to accommodate that is a better idea. Might as well spend the money on something that will appreciate the value of your home instead of paying monthly rent.

I think it depends. If your business is blossoming enough that you can afford to rent the extra space and you really need all that space, maybe you should go for it. On the other hand, if you've already got a good amount of business and just want room in your house, but the rent is a concern, then maybe you shouldn't do it. I know three people who rented a studio out of their house. For all three it didn't last long. On the other hand, I know someone who rented a building, went into business making quilts with her sister (in addition to her own wonderful quilts), expanded into quilting supplies and is going great guns. And, as Barbara says, you have to give up quilting in your pajamas!

Pros and cons both ways. Are any of your four kids still at home where they may need you? Can you convert your garage to a bigger space for quilting? Or how about turning your master bedroom into your quilt studio and taking one of the smaller rooms as your bedroom? You can always try it, but be aware of how long the lease is. You don't want to get stuck into a 6 month lease or one year lease if it ends up being more of a pain. Let us know what you decide:)

Hi Michele, I don't know what I'd suggest. I think it would depend on the possibilites of Mansfield, finances, and business..

Morgan and Elizabeth might need you at home.. would you permit them to be in the shop, or would you only have it open during their school hours?

Glad I don't have to make the decision, and pray what you decide will be a big GÕ!!!!!

I rent a studio space out of my home about 10 minute drive away, and the rent comes around very very quickly each month. The only reason I rent is the space issue which was limited at home, otherwise I would have kept working from home so as not to eat into my profits. Things just got too much for the house and husband though.

So I am giving it a year to see how I go. Most of the time it is OK, but in the months where quilts are a little low it is more of a struggle. I also have accountancy income though to back me up a little. I am not sure that I would have rented purely on my quilting income.

There are a few advantages and disadvantages though like most things. Like today my son was sick from school and I couldn't work, had I still been at home I could have still quilted whilst he was asleep. Although most of the time when he is at school it is like going out to a job and is very disciplined for time, and I don't have to worry about the house being tidy everywhere for customers to visit. It looks more professional for me at my studio to meet with customers and there is a place for everything.

I would much prefer space at home, but it isn't an option for me, and if I end up back at home, then I will face that when and if it comes.

• 3 weeks later...

Michelle,

I think your customers will follow your no matter where you go. It would be so much easier for you to have both of your machines on one level. You might even think about renting one of the machines out. Also you could possibly have room for any other venture you might need space for.

I would suggest that you have only set hours for pick up and drop offs. That way you would not have to man the shop 40 plus hours a week.

I keep trying to convince my husband that I need an addition to the back of my house, he said that yard would not support it. I then told him that I wanted to buy the vacant Kum N Go building a block and a half from my house. I would love to have my studio somehow seperated from my home.

Deb

Archived