customer quilting

Sew Purty Quilter

Hello Everyone! I have been lurking for a couple years and think maybe it is time to step out. I have learned so much for this forum and could not have grown in my abilities without it, so thanks to everyone.

My question is I accepted a quilt from a customer but now I am having second thoughts. She cut the batting and and backing about 1/2 inch larger than the top. It is pinned together because she was going to quilt it on a DSM, so I know there is enough batting and backing. Has anyone ever quilted one with so little extra play to work with?

How big is the quilt? Small hangings are doable, and with a lot of fussing, you could do it with a lap size (and charge her extra). Anything larger I don't believe would work -- you would have to load the three layers separately, and risk running out of the backing and batting at the bottom of the quilt.

I had a queen size prepped for hand quilting show up from a new piecer. The owner knew I needed more back and agreed that I could cut the top down as she couldn't afford to buy another back. She also let me switch up the batting as the batt she had pinned in the sandwich was a "fluffy" nightmare. I unfastened all those safety pins, cut two inches off all the way around the top, squared up the back, fixed a miter corner, and started in on the quilting. She had already marked the top and for the most part I was able to stay with her vision. However, the border got the piano key treatment so I could make it reasonalby square. Needless to say, I dis"cussed" this quilt with myself numerous times but was happy to see the owner was satisfied with the end result. p.s. Yes, I charged her for the extra work to get it ready for quilting.

The reason is that you must likely will run out of batting and backing as the quilting will shrink up the batting and backing and then it makes you look bad when you run short....when it was the customer who did not give you enough. Plus, you will find it hard to quilt right up to the clamps on the sides and you may quilt onto your leaders as well when you are that close. It is just better not to do that to yourself.

I did do it on a T-shirt quilt where they cut the backing exactly the same as the top. I added scrap borders by laying the extra on top of backing and basting it on. NOT with a seam. They were aware this was a major problem and that they may need to trim the borders on the top a little if the backing was a little short. I provided the batting so I was OK there. Also the quilting was just large meander so it didn't take up too much. It can be done but is a MAJOR PITA took lots of time, checking, double checking and measuring pinning and basting. And they were aware ahead of time I made no promises. I did it on one other quilt that was made of their aunt's clothes and left over fabrics that had been pieced then tied with yarn by another quilter. We took it apart and I quilted a panto on it. Same situation with backing and top same size. It was for family member so I didn't begrudge the time. You would have to charge extra big time and want to go to all the hassle.

Archived