A Big Move

If all goes well, I will be moving to Sequim, WA, in early December. I've done some asking around and internet looking. They have a guild of over 200 members and I know they have several longarm quilters in the area.

For those of you that have moved your business, how did you deal with your established customers.

And how did you handle moving to the new area and advertising your business without stepping on toes??

Yay, Dory! You will be within driving distance and I see Moxies in your future!!

As you know, Sequim is a lovely place to live.

Join that big Guild, keep your head down for a while to get an idea of the membership, and volunteer to quilt some charity quilts or build some to donate. Don't tell them you have a longarm until someone asks you about the quilting. Then don't tell them about your business until you are approached one by one. They will be so surprised by your gorgeous quilting and you will get instant "friends" who need quilting done. Within two years you will be a pillar of the guild! And the LQS of course, is your best source for business advertising.

Oh, I was so hoping I could be a Moxie!!!!!:P:D:P I told Dennis that I thought I could be a Moxie...he just looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about!!

Very good advice!! I've already talked to the LQS in Sequim and will eventually show her my quilting so that she can refer people to me. However, I like your idea of lying low first and letting people come to me. Thanks Linda!!!

Originally posted by barbm

Woo-hoo!!! Another Moxie!! Wish you were closer to the east side, Dory - but in-state is closer than most!! But moving to Sequim in December?!? Really??? Seems like that might be the nastiest month out on the peninsula.....

I know...Dennis and I never do things the easy way! But hey, this house wasn't even on the market when we asked whether we could see it. It had been on the market several times for way more than we could afford, but we made her an offer and she said yes! No counter, no nothing! She's even told a neighbor that she's glad we're buying it.

It should be real fun driving over the Siskiyous that time of year!!:o

Dory, We are wanting to move to SC (from Ohio). I have started asking my frequent customers if they would be willing to send their quilts to me. So far, all have said yes. Now, I dont' know if they will want to continue to do that or not, but maybe at least for awhile , while I get my bearings down there. Before I started LA quliting, I had a business with sewing and primitive craft kind of stuff. Folks around here kind of "know my work", so I think that's why some came to me in the beginning. They knew my work, ( though, not my quilting). When we move to SC, they are not going to know me from Adam!! I also was wondering how to handle it! i was thinking , maybe making some quilts and setting up at a bazaar or something. I'm not sure about any quilds there. I have stayed away from our town quild for several reasons....not sure I want to "go there".... Just some thoughts..... linda

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Dory, We are wanting to move to SC (from Ohio).

Yeah Linda, you can at least join the Quilters of SC state guild and come to retreat with me. I am looking forward to it next month. this way we get to make quilting friends all over SC. A wonderful secondary guild to belong too, Are you still looking at the Rock Hill area? Hope it all works out for you!!

Dory, what about the yurt do you take it down and reassemble it or what? And what about all the horses?

Jeanne, Hi! Yep! We're STILLL hoping something will give and we get to move! And, yes, still in that general area of Rock Hill, Ft. Mill. We migth even end up in the Charlotte area. We will have to wait and see!! It's been a LONGGGG waiting process!! I'm sure God has something to teach me in all of this!! :) I would LOVE, LOVE , LOVE to go to a retreat with you!!

Linda, I like your idea of approaching my customers individually. Thanks!

Jeanne, we have a 20' yurt up there that hasn't been assembled yet. The one here is 24' and I share it with Dennis. This one is smaller and will be ALL MINE!!! The house we're buying has 3 bedrooms and an office, so he can use a bedroom and the office for his stuff.

The ponies are coming with us...I go nowhere without them. Well, almost nowhere:D Best part, we can ride 12 mos of the year up there...no 3 foot snow storms!!!!

After many years in the military and about 15 moves, I am very excited for you....just jump right into things and you will feel at home faster than you think. We always said, once we know more than one way to drive somewhere in our new town, we are at home! But Linda is right, join a guild, meet the LQS owner and so some volunteer quilts and don't forget show and tell at your guild....once they see what you do, they will come to you!

Originally posted by DoryJM

For those of you that have moved your business, how did you deal with your established customers.

I have found that established customers prefer the ease and trust of continuing to have me quilt their quilts. It doesn't matter if they have to put it in a box and mail it. Just be sure to keep up your normal communications with them and provide clear instructions on how to mail quilts to you.

Wow, Dory I am sooo jealous. I was wondering about your YURT. You will do great in your new adventure. I soooo want to move back to the Gettysburg area. VA Beach is not my "cup of tea" and getting worse but it's where the work is.:( I wish I was brave enough to just "pick-up and go".

Sequim is a great place to live. I moved away in 2006 and still think about it. Gardening is great. Guild is very active and I am told there are quite a few long arm quilters so there is lots of competition. Lots of applique groups and several quilt stores in easy driving distance on the peninsula. There are a lot of people from California there.

But it does snow on occasion--up to 12".

I think you will love Sequim, WA. I live in Central Oregon and we have been to your new home area several times. March is their annual Lavender Festival and it is wonderful. Just imagine fields of purple lavender in full bloom and a festival with all kinds of lavender products. Hey, that just might inspire a quilt.

Sequim is in the rain shadow of Mt Ranier so you will have less rain and a milder climate that the Seattle area. You can take the ferry over to the Big City when you have the urge for urban life. Poking around in the San Juan Islands is one of my favorite things too.

Horse people in the Northwest do have to deal with wet ground conditions and abundant green grass growth in the pastures in the spring but as a long time horsewoman I know you will know how to manage that. Their are wonderful trail to rides to in the Olympics.

What a great adventure! I am so happy for you. Hope to meet you at a Moxie meeting.

Sharon

Dory

I live in Sequim. We moved here in December from Sunny Utah 2 years ago and it is a beautuful area but not as sunny as Utah or California as it is western Washington and it is cloudy a lot of the time. Even with the "rain shadow" from the Olympic Mts. it rains and is cloudy and cold. It is pouring out right now, but I am going to take the dogs for a walk anyway, they love it here. We have never needed to use our air conditioner in our home. I have an existing longarm business and truthfully have not tried too hard to get new customers. Most of mine are mail order from the all the places we have lived in the country. This is very much a retirement community and people are very careful with their money. A great many women do have personal longarm machines, a husband came over the other day and asked me about mine, said is wife wants to buy one for her quilting. I showed him how big they are and told him they might need a studio. Mine is in the garage right now and we have plans to build a studio, so I can only quilt in July-Sept when it is warm enough in the garage.

Our new love is square dancing!! They have a very active group here and we joined with a new class last year and have made such good friends and love it. The weather here is not too good for aches and pains but the folks who square dance can keep moving. They are in their 50s to 80s.

My husband and I refer this area as an outdoor nursing home because there are people out driving their golf carts on the walking paths, riding bikes, and walking and running. Hiking is great in the summer or in the rain.

I joined Red Hats (several groups here) to meet some people and that is fun.

I have not joined the guild yet because they meet every week during the day. But I do know that they sponser a quilt show every other year at the Lavendar Fesitval which is in July.

Sorry for rambling on but I think if you want to have your business here you can market your services and you will be successful.

Welcome and email me if you have any questions. ontheroadagain13@hotmail.com

We are snow birding in the winter but will be back.

Carol

We are excited about the move and figure we better do it now before we're too old. Dennis has lived her for over 30 years and we love our seclusion. Our biggest issue is winter. Last year we had three storms of over 3' each and it was really hard on the horses. This climate, while wet and gray, will be better for them. And if we can deal with the gray, I think we'll love it as well.

Pam, I definitely plan on attending Moxie meetings; we can certainly carpool!

Carola, when you're back from your snowbirding (do you go to AZ?, e-mail me (link below) and we'll get together.

We have noticed that darn near everyone in Sequim came from somewhere else so we'll fit right in! And when we're old, we'll just move into one of the many independent living places...provided they take horses and border collies!!

Hey Dory, How exciting you are coming back top the PNW.

Dealing with gray.............Just put in lots of windows in your yurt and it isn't bad at all. I love being in my cozy space, fireplace on, watching the storms blow by (really blowing today).

Looking forward to seeing you at MQX in just a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your move.

I will try to get a Moxie meeting at my house early next year so all you Washingtonians don't have to drive so far! Sheila and Al are in Seattle and are up next to host, so us northerners will be happy!

I know you visit your Sequim property a bit so you already know about the temperate climate--never too hot for long nor too cold or snowy for long. And gorgeous summer/fall weather.

Can't wait too see you at MQXWest!

Archived