Has any one read this Quilting Blog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am part of the to each his own crowd. When I read this blog post I looked back at her blog about hanging the quilt to eliminate the drag. A couple of the comments posted were "ha, ha why don't you get a longarm?". Now after posting pics of the simple tools she used and her instructions to help others working with a DSM, she gets that response?

The response actually reminds me of a "friend" of mine chastisinng me for not retiring like she did in the 90's because she wanted my companionship....she didn't seem to think it was relevant that I had no retirement available (she told me I needed to just cut back on things!), or that I was in my 40's and she was in her mid fifties with the ability to retire from a job she had been in 30 years.

Yes Leah makes money from her blog/work, but I think she really gives a lot to the quilting community.

I don't have to justify my purchase of a longarm and she doesn't have to justify not wanting one.

Kath - I'm not surprised you got so many responses. This issue makes us think about the how and why of what we do. I don't think she was aiming it at everyone. As the owner of a blog, I can tell you that sometimes you get snarky comments or direct emails telling you just what you should do (or worse), along with the comments and emails that are supportive and friendly.

I'm sure that Leah is a designer of computerized designs because it can make her some money. She's a quilt artist, and created her blog to share designs with people. Some of those people might be too lazy (like me) to draw them out themselves, and if they can buy them already digitized into a useable design, then why not?

Thanks for posting this Kath. I've enjoyed reading all of the responses.

Archived