Need Advise

Ok this may sound like dumb question but do you guys always quilt a auction quilt for free? I didn't realize this was an auction quilt when my dear neice dropped it off. Come to find out it is for a garden club auction. It's a friend of a friend of my neices and didn't even look at it until today. The ladies called and are coming today to go over the pattern. My big mistake but was really busy and didn't have to time at drop off to ask my neice where she got it. This would really be a big donation on my part for this quilt. I don't mean to sound stingy but this is a semi-custom. I loaded it already so can't turn back now LOL. Do you guys give the whole thing free or discount. Help LOL Note to self pay better attention. I have to say it's a beautiful quilt but it has a quilted back and label. I may need a drink and it's only 9:30 am good thing I don't drink.

I have done several quilts for auction but I decided what thread to use and how I wanted to quilt it. I may be wrong and if I am please corrrect me, but if I don't charge for the quilting then I get to say how it is quilted. I also always ask what it is for before I agree. One lady said it was for her child's private school. I passed on that one.

Sylvia I think these ladies are going to be a pickle! They wanted me to meander everything in the sashing before they get here so they can decide what to do in all the appliqued flowers. I told her I will only meandor a small section up to square of one flower in case they decide to change up that design and I'm not wanting to frog all that.

I'm with Sylvia, beggers can't be choosy. You are donating your time and thread, they should be grateful for what they get. Are you getting any recognition for the quilting or are they going to just politely say thanks and go away? I've done a number of quilts for the LQG including the last two boys and girl's quilts they gave away at their show and there was NOTHING about my quilting.

I wouldn't stitch anything until they come.

Your niece had no business volunteering your work.( if she did)

I would ask them who will be responsible for the bill.

You can discount it if you choose but if it isn't an organization you are involved with or hold dear to your heart why would you? Your time is valuable. Better to unload than be pressured and resent it later. You know what they say about the word assume!!:)

i'm with penelopefabric. don't do a thing until they come and then explain that your niece was not clear about who would be responsible for payment for your quilting. then, "quilting this will be $$$$; but under the circumstances I will offer the garden club a xx% discount." Then it is in their hands. And I'm believing that a garden club has funds to put towards the quilting. I learned a long time ago that money speaks loudly. If THEY want to tell YOU how to quilt THEIR quilt, then give them that power by having them pay for it. If it's a true 'free quilting' situation then you decide how you want to quilt it and how much time you want to spend on it. JMHO, again.

Thanks everyone good advise. I'm not quilting anymore until they come. I don't mind giving a discount like you guys suggested that would be ok but to give the whole thing is a bit out there. I am going to donate the batting only because the stuff they brought is so thin I won't quilt with this stuff. I certainly will talk with my neice in a really nice way because she has been awesome about getting me customers but this one I think I could live without. lol Well I'll give an update when they leave and let you know how this goes. Thanks everyone

Ok the ladies came and all is good in the world LOL. My neice did explain to them about getting charged so being they were so nice I will give them a nice discount because the one is going to bring another quilt. And boy am I glad I took your advise and stopped quilting. They did change their mind on thread color so I only have about an hour of frogging. I won't complain because they were so nice and considerate. I also donated the Quilters Dream batting and thread. I quess I worried myself sick over nothing but thank all of you for helping. When my niece gets back in town it will all be quilted.

Nan

I just made a photo album and was really amazed of how many quilts I've done in just a year. I really do need to sit and figure out how to post I did a custom for a neighbor that was made in 1964 and it turned out great if I have to say so myself and would like to post it. You are ladies and guys are just superb with all your help thanks again.

Archived