Custom Cross-stitch Quilt Done!!

It's been a loooong time since I posted any quilt pix - been a little busy this year with the wedding and all - but here's one that spent the better part of a month on my machine. The customer's father had purchased this top (and three more similar ones) at estate sales, and she wanted it quilted per the original design - on the little blue dots! Yes, it was a lot of stops and starts, but once I got into it, I kinda enjoyed having all the quilting decisions made for me....

On a related note, any suggestions for the best way to launder this puppy to take out the blue dots? It's also got a lot of stains that the customer will have to work on removing?

First photo - the unquilted top......

post--1346190705789_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barb--that is beautiful! Your stitching is so even and pleasing--love the feathers! The design is very era-specific and perfect.

Sorry to say, if the top is more than 20 years old, the blue dots are probably permanent. :o

Good news is they are usually not pronounced after the dimension of quilting is added--especially if you used the dots as guidelines.

As for stains, there is a vast library of solutions (get it? "solutions"--I crack myself up!) sorry--solutions to the staining, starting with the less-invasive and going up. Google "textile stain removal" and get a cuppa something to read and then recommend to your customer.

You will be missed at MQXWest, but have a blast and sell some machines in Spokane!

Wow! That came out great! I think you're supposed to wash those in cold to get the blue dots out. You might google vintage embroidery quilt kits and make sure that's the case. Once she has the blue dots out, Grandma's Secret Spot Remover can probably get rid of a lot of the the stains.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Barb--that is beautiful! Your stitching is so even and pleasing--love the feathers! The design is very era-specific and perfect.

Linda, thanks for the compliments, but I was just followin' the lines!! Well, mostly....;)

And I do hope I sell some machines in Spokane - something's gotta make it worth not going to MQX!!!:(

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

Wonderful quilting this is a beautiuful quilt. is that all cross stitched?

Jeanne, yes, that's all cross-stitched. My customer's father found this top (and three others) at estate sales, and now she wants them quilted. I'm hoping this first one was the only one with stains - will have to go dig out the second to check it out.

Barb, the quilt is gorgeous! I quilted a lone star quilt my mom made from a kit purchased at an estate sale. It also had quilting designs printed in the large square and triangle areas. We tried everything from cold water, oxyclean, dawn, alcohol, and nothing would work. Yes, we tried this on a scrap of the fabric that had some of the blue dots on it. I don't know how old the kit was, but I'm thinking maybe from the 70's. Hope the customer has better luck with removing the dots.

I pulled out the second top this customer wants quilted, and it makes me think that the dots won't be a problem - they're almost gone on this top!:o Just enough so I can get an idea of the "desired" design, which is what the customer will want. I'm gonna have to make my own reference pattern for those areas that have lost their dots.....

This top appears to be the same vintage as the first - the printing in the selvage is similar, although uninformative!

post--13461907059237_thumb.jpg

Archived