What's the purpose of bobbin thread on quilt top?

Anita,

Are you talking about pulling the bobbin thread to the top? Well when you start you want to pull it to the top and hold onto the threads for about 4 or 5 stitches so that you don't end up with a birds nest underneath. when you stop you also want to pull the bobbin thread to the top so that you can either knot and bury (this is what I do) or you can take many small stitches and trim very close to the top while pulling on the thread tails. This way the thread will relax after cut and the ends will disappear under the top fabric. There are a couple of ways to bring the bobbin thread to the top. I use my thread cutter and then give a small tug on the upper thread until I see the loop of bobbin thread peaking up. Then I use a needle and pull the thread out the rest of the way. The other thing you can do is to pull the machine away about 5 or 6" from where you end, pull the top thread and hold onto it, needle up and down in the last stitch. Pull on the top thread and pull the bobbin thread up and either trim or bury. It sounds like a lot of steps but really it is very easy and quick.

Hello Heidi, "Thanks" for the quick response! Gosh that sounds really confusing! But I will try that over the weekend and see what happens. I noticed that there are some video's on here which may help me. I'll try that as well. Sometimes (at least for me) I have to have an actual visual of how to do something that I have to see a few times for it to stick.

Anyway Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Hi Anita,

I replied to your post about freemotion quilting with your DSM (domestic sewing machine) and if you are asking about why you should bring up the bobbin thread--it's to keep the bobbin thread from tangling against the backing fabric and forming what is called a bird's nest. It's ugly and hard to clip out.

On your DSM, make one stitch in the fabric while holding onto the top thread. Raise the presser foot and tug on the top thread to get a loop of bobbin thread formed. Pull on the bobbin thread to get it all above the top. Re-position the fabric so the needle can be lowered in the first hole, hold onto both threads, lower the presser foot and drop the needle into the fabric. Take two or three tiny stitches together and stitch away from the start. Once you have stitched far enough away, stop and clip both threads right at the fabric. Curved-ended embroidery scissors are perfect to clip your threads.

Archived