To Use Sprayway 946 Silicone Spray for Free Motion or What?

I have a Janome MC6300, until such time when I win the lottery (yeah Right) or 3, 4 or 5 years down the road when I can purchase a long arm. But at the present time I want to start practicing free motion so I can make lap quilts and wall hangings for myself.

So my question is....What would be the best silicone spray to use for my table for ease of my quilts to glide on? Any advice on brands, etc.?

BTW If you have advice on a particular method or way of free motion quilting please don't hold back. As I want to start this immediately and I can take criticism! I'll just sew your mouth shut!! :o LOL, but no seriously I will take pictures and maybe mini movies of my work and post it here.

Thanks, AnitaSews

The supreme slider works very well. It is only the area right around your needle that needs to be very slippery. There are two sizes. I prefer the smaller (8.5x11) because the big one laps out onto the table surface and doesn't stick itself down as well as the one that just fits over the plastic insert. The slider does get lint and junk on the back, and then doesn't stick as well, but a quick rinse in warm water takes care of it. If you want, you can tape it at the edges, but I find that if I keep it clean there is no need to do so. Do check that it is well down before you begin sewing, otherwise you might find yourself stitching through the slider:-(

I've never used a silicone spray. Supreme slider is fine...there are other brands available too. You need to keep the silicone sheet free of the feed dogs on your DSM and clean enough to stick to the table properly. The larger your flat surface, the less drag on the quilt sandwich so drop your machine into a table or use the biggest extender you can buy. Before George, I used Turtle Wax (auto product) on my sewing machine bed, table insert and table top.

As for quilting on a domestic machine (moving fabric rather than the machine) google Sharon Schamber & Leah Day. Practice, practice, practice and remember to breathe. Nancy in Tucson

Archived