casters on Mille

Are you talking about a single wheel on each leg, or the three wheel dolly for each leg? I'm curious myself as I've been thinking about putting them under my table legs.

Lowes has three wheel dolly's for less than $6 each but I'm not sure if they are the right thing to use. When I was at APQS in Des Moines looking at a machine I commented on them and they said I could find them at a Lowes or Menards. Anyone else know?

Marcy

Ultimate I Mizz Mona

I just have furniture sliders under my machine also. I believe that the 3 wheel casters might move on you while quilting. The single wheels have locks. Any Ace Hardware, Lowes or Home Depot should have them. You would have to know the size of the screw that goes into the legs to just screw them in. They are not universal.

Shirley

I have my Millie on the 3 wheel castors I purchased at Lowe's and the table doesn't move at all while I am quilting. I have to really push to move it. My room is carpeted and I was having issues pushing the table back and forth, so DH had a brilliant idea. He lined up 4 large pieces of leftover floor tiles in a row under each side of the castors, and then placed a 6 in wide long piece of wood over the tiles to roll the machine back and forth on. He even nailed trim around edges of wood to prevent castors from rolling off edge of wood. I have to roll my machine back and forth daily in my tiny studio so it really solved my problems. :P:P

Originally posted by aleksich

Can I ask, why the casters? I will be setting up my machine on Monday, quilting room is done, except for the floor finish. I put down vct flooring (kind you see in grocery stores).

If you need to re-position your machine--like if you have a tight space and place it against the wall, then want to move it out to do pantos. If you can leave it in one place, as most probably do, casters are not necessary. On your flooring, casters might not be advised even with a good locking brake. Another thing is leveling your machine. Once the machine is level in one spot, moving it may necessitate checking for level with each move.

I put total locking casters on all of my machines. I am also 6' tall and it adds height to the machine w/out having to raise the legs. Here is where I got mine, they have gone up since I purchased, but the locks on these are great. They keep it from moving in any direction when you have the lock on. Make sure you get the threaded stem marked TS-22, or similar if you buy elsewhere. http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=3APA4X-ML&ReturnTo=../cm3a-stem.htm

I had APQS castors on my Lenni when I originally bought it, but once I moved to a larger space I took them off and I don't miss them at all. They were necessary at the time given tight space and needing to move machine back and forth, but I did have levelling issues because I could never hit the same spot in the carpet. I prefer the lower machine now that the castors are gone aswell (being only 4 ft 11)

I didn't experience any movement in the machine though and I didn't even bother with the locks.

Archived