Just a helpful hint

On my way to the dollar store! Thanks Heidi....

My hint: I picked up some very large washers (you know bolt, nut and washer) (3"?)at our local agriculture supply store when I was with DH who was getting parts. Instead of putting paper panto under the mylar plastic (which I hate doing, so much static here in dry climate Alberta) I just roll the panto out on top of the mylar, and plunk down the large washers on top to hold it in place. I can slid the whole thing when lining up the panto where I want it, but once in place the washers hold it where I want it....

Hi Heidi

Thanks for the hint about the microfibre mitt. I will keeo an eye out for one of those.

Have you ever been quilting along on a very light colored quilt when you see a dark thread trapped under the top? Get a size 10 crochet hook ( very tiny) and wiggle ot through the fabric, hook onto the thread and pull it through to get rid of it. If you are careful this will not leave a hole.

Sylvia

Such good ideas! Sylvia, I have had that problem and used needles and sometimes just cannot get the thread... Heidi, great idea, I got one for my blinds but did not think of using it for my machine....and Ardelle, I know now that it is getting cooler, static elec. becomes a problem...I had been using dryer sheets to wipe down my table and plastic cover to help with static....

I use a hand made dish scrubber crocheted with netting to pick up any lint, stray threads or animal hairs that cling to the quilt top. I have one customer who must let her cats sleep all over her tops, after I have wiped them down, it looks like I have collected a kitten! Of course a lint brush works just as well.

I've been looking for ways to speed up my quilting process, and have come to the conclusion that when I snip threads and throw them on the floor, instead of dropping them into the trash cans on each side of the quilt, that I'm saving time. I was brought up as a neat-nick, but now that I'm throwing threads on the floor, it feels kind of good.:cool: When I'm through quilting the quilt, then I get out the vacumn and clean up.

When I frog, I pull the top thread and clip-pull-clip-pull-clip the bobbin thread. Those short lengths of bobbin thread that have their heads sticking out above the top can be easily pulled out and collected in a pile by using a rubber "brick" style eraser. I scrape the edge of the eraser along the stitches and the threads pile up in a line to be easily picked up. Then I run a sticky lint roller underneath to get any stray threads left there.

Joan!:P

I use the "coffee filter taped to the side of the machine" hint for all thread trimmings. I also have one at the back above the cone for those lengths you get when changing thread colors and pulling the new color to the front.

Really weird? I save all those thread pieces for my buddy the art quilter and she acts like I have given her a great present!

I hate searching for pins that have dropped, especially on the carpeted floor in both the long arm and sewing areas so finally got a collapsible wand with a magnet and light at the end, so it is easy to take along to quilt retreats, and it just totally beats trying to get down on my hands and knees and look for a pin. It was very reasonable and think I ordered it from KEEPSAKE QUILTING.

Sharon G

I use a large car washing microfiber-covered sponge for wiping chalk from tops. It is big and grabs a lot in one swipe. I found it at Walmart for about $5. a couple years ago. I like it because you have something to hold on to, since it is a big sponge, and you can rub with out hurting the top.

I can post a photo later if needed.

Great topic Heidi!

I like to use a net on my spools of thread but often the nets catch a hold of the thread and jurk it or snap it so, of to my lingerie draw I went and came back with 'pop socks', one sock can do maybe 3 spools so now I have lots of 'thread socks for my spools....they are nice and soft and don't catch the thread at all!

Along the same line as Kay, cut the legs of your old panny hose to make "rings" to wrap around the center of your spools of thread. The thread won't spool off and you can see its color well. I also sometimes use it on the machine instead of a net. Works great and you are using something you would normally toss.

I've serged two 10 inch pieces of batting together - poly and wool, I think. I drop my thread clippings, broken pieces of chalk, etc. on it and just brush them into the garbage when it gets full. It's easy to move out of the way, and amazingly I have yet to roll it into the quilt when advancing. That will happen now that I've said it out loud.

g

When using the Fons and Porter or Sew Line small lead marking pencils, use the cheap, different colored erasers that come in a pack of several at the Dollar Tree. These are shaped just like the old pink ones we use to use. Takes the marks right off the fabric, or quilts in this case, a lot easier and more thorough than the fabric erasers.

I didn't think that I had anything to add to this discussion, until this morning. I keep a bottle of New-Skin liquid bandage handy so that when I poke myself with a pin and there is a fair amount of bleeding I can brush it on. Great at stopping the bleeding. This morning I jammed something between my nail and finger and there is blood all over. As soon as the New Skin dries I'll be quilting again.

Archived