Just a helpful hint

To remove the remaining thread from used bobbins, I have a large clear plastic vitamin bottle. Poke a hole in the screw top with an awl, drop the bobbin in the bottle, poke the thread through the hole and screw the top back on. You can then pull the thread off quickly and you won't be dropping bobbins all over the place when they slip out of your hands. You can do a lot of bobbins at once, just collect them in the bottle until you're done with your quilt.

Wonderful hints, everyone! Gotta go shopping now.LOL The "magnet-on-a-stick" is great. I bought one at Lowe's, it is fairly large and on a long pole. Easy to pick up pins and errant bobbins that seem to always go to the hardest to reach place. You can also get smaller versions at places like Tractor Supply, very inexpensive there. The magnetic pin dishes are there too, mechanics use them to hold parts.

This isn't really a hint, but Robin's post about bobbins with a little bit of thread reminded me. I use pre-wounds almost exclusively and when they are getting towards the end sometimes I swap them out for full bobbins. These partial bobbins go in a small box and when my customers come for pick-up I will offer them their choice of partial bobbins for the hand sewing part of their binding. It's BottomLine so the thread is thin and strong--perfect for bindings or even applique. My customers seem to enjoy the freebies and now sometimes ask for the bobbins before they leave with their quilt.

Oh, but Robin, putting the bobbin in a pill bottle while pulling the thread off, would take away my kitties favorite toy. :D They just love to chase the bobbin all around while I am pulling the thread off! Then the get very disinterested in it when it falls down flat when the last bit of thread is gone!

I needed to clean my iron earlier today. Of course I didn't have any iron cleaner. I remembered hearing that dryer sheets would work. I folded up a piece of paper towel over the edge of the ironing board, put a Bounce sheet on top and ran the hot iron back and forth over the edge of the board. I am not sure why doing this over the edge rather than on the top of the board is important, but what the heck it worked! I ran the iron over clean paper towel to remove the residue from the dryer sheet and my iron was clean and ready to use. Best of all I didn't have to inhale that horrible fumes that the regular iron cleaners cause.

Sue

Do any of you guys use lint rollers to pick up threads from frogging? I bought two different brands and both were worthless. I grabbed my roll of painters tape wrapped a piece around my hand only had to go over the top 1 time and all the threads were gone. I swear those lint rollers used to be stickier years ago weren't they?

Ardelle, it is a toy for a small child. You get it at the toy store near you. You fill the pen with water and mark on a mat. The water on the mat will show as pictures until it dries. It is good for litle children because if spilled there is really no mess. Perhaps you can find just the pen and not have to buy the mat.

Originally posted by srichardson

I needed to clean my iron earlier today. Of course I didn't have any iron cleaner. I remembered hearing that dryer sheets would work. I folded up a piece of paper towel over the edge of the ironing board, put a Bounce sheet on top and ran the hot iron back and forth over the edge of the board. I am not sure why doing this over the edge rather than on the top of the board is important, but what the heck it worked! I ran the iron over clean paper towel to remove the residue from the dryer sheet and my iron was clean and ready to use. Best of all I didn't have to inhale that horrible fumes that the regular iron cleaners cause.

Another thing that works really well is the Magic Erasers. Wet it and then rub the iron. come right off!

Sue

Great topic. I use a square of batting on my apron...left shoulder area..and put my cut threads there. Easy to clean and when the batting gets dirty, or thin, it goes in the garbage and a new one takes it's place. I do have to be careful in normal life not to pick up lint or threads and automatically put it on my chest. I can be walking around like that all day.

Aqua-doodle - there is something called a aqua pen and you can get them in the scrapbooking section or water color section of the craft store I think Joanns might have them.

I built a"table" out of curten rods the white curved kind, put felt tubes on the ends and set them on the rollers to get the length added velcro and then added velcro to a tv tray instant table and I can take the tray off and use the rods to hold up my leads. I use the table to hold pins, tape, chalk, etc. or use it with the front laser!

Love these tips.

Archived