William Morris fabric--big quilt

This quilt had me deadlined into a corner last week. My customer struggled to finish it in time for our guild show this weekend and she dropped it off late last Friday. I loaded it Saturday and quilted all day Saturday, Sunday, Monday and she picked it up Monday night at 9:30 pm. I used the machine to apply the binding and she stitched the binding in time to turn it in at 7 o'clock Tuesday night. We hung the show on Thursday and this big (109" square) quilt, though it lacked some needed pressing, showed very well.

The pattern was from a mystery quilt class at an LQS. I have quilted two of them and five were in the show--all different and all very nice. The center has a 3-D peeled-back curve, applique, curved piecing, lots of pieced borders and setting triangles. Definitely a skill-builder.

post--13461907114806_thumb.jpg

Here is the setting triangle motif. She had done some digitized embroidery in a couple of the half-circles and hated them. I took the feel of the embroidery and designed a stylized motif to match a bit. They were in the blue setting triangles and also in the half-squares in the border.

post--13461907115257_thumb.jpg

You can sure tell you are a highly seasoned and polished longarm quilter, Linda! All of your quilting is so interesting and well done on this quilt. And, to think that you did it in record time, too! This one is going in my favorites. You must have quite a dedicated piecing bunch out there, for 5 of you to have finished that quilt in time for the show -- that is one difficult piecing job!

Linda! You are always such an inspiration! This is gorgeous!

It's great to get more ideas for blocks and borders, I just run out ideas and keep doing the same things... More quilters are coming to me because I am a "hand guided" quilter rather than computerized. I like that, however I will continue to need great ideas!

Nicely done!!!

You are amazing Linda. Your quilting is always beautiful and so perfect for each quilt. Of course this is going into my favorites too. I think I need a LINDA favorite file!!!! I sure hope you both got a ribbon on this quilt. Great piecing and colors to go with your quilting!!!

Guest Linda S

Oh Linda! It's gorgeous. Skill builder? Honey, if you build your skills much more, you'll put us all to shame! ;) The quilt itself is wonderful, but you really made it sing.

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Now...about that ribbon. Some of you might think it's "too precious" but the committee chairs for the guild show are each given a ribbon to award to a quilt for whatever reason. We had eight chairs so these eight ribbons were awarded after the quilts were hung and before the show started. Then those ribbons "floated". If you got a ribbon, you did not know from whom or why. But when you discovered it, you would then pass it along to your favorite quilt in the show. Then she was supposed to pass it along as well. So you could give it to a friend as a "good job sweetie" or to someone you admired as a "I wanna piece like you do" or to a newbie to keep them inspired. At the end of the show, ribbons were removed and kept by the guild.

I have never seen this before and it was all inside the membership with no information given to the public. No other ribbons were awarded though ballots were cast for viewer's choice. Those will be awarded at the next guild meeting. It all seems so hush-hush but this year they were trying to include everyone, not just the best piecers and quilters in the group.

We hosted a Hoffman Challenge traveling show and those quilts were fabulous!

Vendors were great and seemed happy after the show (Hi Patty Jo!).

We changed venues and had good attendance.

But after three solid days at a two day show, I am ready to rest.

MQXWest this week!! Wooo hooo!

Archived