Officially Open for Business!

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I just accepted my first two quilts for my business. It was a wonderful thing to have that Quilter's Business Manager software on my computer to help me figure out what to charge. I am so excited that I think I could just be sick. They are two T-shirt quilts, but they are stabilized and pieced beautifully. I am to do whatever I would like in a medium meander with some design to it -- sporty type stuff on one and music/book type stuff on the other. I can'w wait to get home and see what I've got for thread color to go on these gems. Oh please don't let me mess up!! :o

Linda

Congratulations, for having the courage to just dive in and start your business. Your plan seems to be ticking right along and you still have that wonderful enthusiasm that is quite contagious! Remember, though, we are all our own worst critics, so try to judge the results of your work with an objective eye. Good luck. Keep us posted how they turn out!

Carolyn (Ontario)

I am thrilled for you!

I am talking up a storm, but will not turn any customer quilts loose until the end of the month. I want to be sure I know what I'm doing first. My hubby came home tonight and asked if I'm ready to start yet, and I told him "my quilt goes on first". I can damage my own before I will take a chance on any others. I'm still fussing with thread tensions.

You will be GREAT!!! You go girl!

Cynthia

Guest Linda S

I have a significant case of the terrified butterflies. There are so many little designs that I am really good at doing and some I can't handle at all. I think I can handle these two quilts but I'm really scared at the same time. I just don't want to mess up. I want them to be PERFECT! I know that there will be a bobble here and there, I just don't want them to be noticible by anyone but me. I'll play on a practice piece off to the side before I jump on the quilts themselves. Major advantage to that 14' table!

Linda

Go for it, Girl!

Have been watching your posts ever since you started remodeling the attic. Lo & behold, you've set up shop!

How long have you been PPP'ing to get good enough to feel like you could quilt for others? Knowing that you also have a fulltime job, the practicing has had to be evenings & weekends; anywhat, 'bout how long do you think you've been practicing?

Don't forget to post some of your work in Webshots...we'll be looking! Congratulations!

Pat

...& still shopping for that used Mille or Liberty.

Terrified butterflies---I remember that. My DH kept coming downstairs to my quilt room and kept saying you have to put the first stich in. I had the first customer's quilt loaded a complete plan and I stood there for hours and hours (about 4) afraid to put that first stitch in. After I actually started it was OK and she loved her quilt. Now it's no big deal starting a quilt, it's just part of the normal routine of the day. Don't ever forget to have fun with your quilting. Add butterflies or swirls, or whatever in your quilting if you feel like it and your customers will love it. it's extra!!!!!!!!! no charge!!!!!!! jeri

Those butterflies are a sign that you want to do a good job and that's great. You've been PPPing, you've been to Innovations, now it's time to start your business. You go girl . . . you are ready! Keep it simple in the beginning and don't try to get too fancy. Remember, they are paying for a medium meander. Give them what they want. And let us know how it turns out. We are right behind you, Linda.

Linda-

Like the others I have been watching and reading with interest as you renovated your work space and got your machine. Seeing all of it come together for you is a boost for those of us who are just in the beginning stages. We're all pulling for you to succeed (which you will with flying colors).

Debbie

Quilted-Joy

Guest Linda S

Pat - I've only been practicing about 3.5 months, but I did use my DSM for machine quilting before I got my Liberty. I think it helps to have an idea of how to make shapes and loops and swirls before you get the machine, even though I was doing by "moving the paper under the pencil" instead of the longarm "moving the pencil over the paper" method. I would say that I'm still not quite ready to do a lot of heirloom work unless someone didn't mind my doing a lot of marking. My feathers absolutely stink, so I will need to keep practicing those forever. The two quilts I have to do now are a "medium meander" where she doesn't want just a simple stipple. I will most likely do loops and small designs. One quilt is for a sports nut, so I will put in some little basketballs, footballs, etc., maybe some stars. The other is for a kid who likes music and books. I will put in some musical notes which are incredibly easy to do, and I'll have to think about something for the books. I may just do the notes alone with loops. Hey - she paid for meander -- I'm not going wild here!

Linda

Congrats Linda,

Seems like it has taken forever to get to this point, doesnt it?

Well I just got my first quilt thursday as well. It was the president of one of the guilds I am a member of who gave it to me, I felt like I just won a blue ribbon.

I have been practicing for 4 mos now, and my work shows it.

I wish you luck and hopefully this will be the start of sucess for you.

Blessings and hugs

Archived