Charging for longarm

It is me again - you guys are wonderful with all of your wealth of information - THANKS!

Here I go again -

I have the longarm machine & business license. Just got back from Portland - MQX. Now - what do I charge?

I am only going to offer pantos and allovers. In my area there is no one doing midrange quilting so I will fill that ninche. Is there a program to help set that up: quilting, thread, sq. up back, ironing etc. Thanks ahead of time for all of your wisdom.

Hello! Wasn't MQX West great?!

Make a cup of tea or coffee and settle in to read interesting threads under the "starting and running your quilting business" topic header.

Mine the archives for pertinent information.

There are software programs available that are specific to a quilting business. Most are accounting programs to track costs and customers. Do a specific search here as well, looking for "accounting software".

Use your computer to set up a simple intake form and also a brochure if you want to hand out a pricing list. Look at local quilter's brochures or websites to get a feel for what they are charging per square inch, for thread, for seaming backers, binding, etc. Take your cue from them.

All important though is to have your customer base in mind and to find where they hang out so you can reach them with your offerings. All the prep you do won't matter if they can't find you. Join a guild if there is one near. Quilt charity quilts. Make friends at the LQS. Gently approach those custom quilters near you and make some friends as well. Just because the quilters near you are doing custom quilting, don't think that they will turn down a quick and profitable E2E when it comes their way. But if they are booked out they may be willing to send you way a deadlined customer wanting an overall.

Good luck and happy quilting!

When we were first starting I spent days looking at other people's web sites. I got a lot of wonderful ideas and saw things that I hadn't thought of. The area you live in makes a lot of difference too. Quilters in some areas can charge more than in other areas. My advice is just research, research and then research some more!!

There is a computer program from www.eurekadocumentation.com called Machine Quilters Business Manager. I really like it!!! It is very user friendly!! I'm not a computer geek so I can't write this myself like some people can. It really helps with the end of year tax stuff if you arae like me and bad at keeping records!!!

All good advice, I would suggest that you do as many charity quilts as you can at first just to get your name and quilting style out there.(show and tell at your local quild, and for your local quilt shop)..but always and I stress always, give it your best and let people know that you are very particular and will only turn out quilts that are done to the best of your ability....that alone will get you many loyal customers.

Archived