trouble with Metro thread

I've had trouble lately using Metro thread.

I have several cones of this thread and have used it quite a bit without problems. On two of the colors I have, the top thread would break often. After trying all kinds of things I determined these particular cones were twisting as they unwound and then would fray and break near or at the needle.

For those of you who use Metro thread, have you had this problem? Is it intended to be used horizontally? Weird how this is happening lately and not before. I've only used a vertical thread holder. I don't have a horizontal thread holder. Do the horiz. holders accomodate cones? What would you suggest? I'm hoping those are the only 2 cones that are problematic. Haven't tried out all the colors yet.

Thanks for answers!

I haven't had this problem with Metro thread, but I have with Highlights. Some colors will run fine, then you change to another color...and it breaks ever 6 inches. I have loaded it up with Sewer's Aid (or other silicone thread lube) and that seems to help. It also helps to weave the thread through two holes in the thread guide instead of looping it around through all three holes. I have heard, but not tried...misting the quilt with water helps sometimes. Frustrating, I know. Oddly, you may not have any problem with the exact same cone in two days. It must have something to do with the humidity level of your environment.

My horizontal spool holder does not accomodate cones. There are several types. Some may.

I recently had a class with Sharon Schambler and she swears by dunking the cones and bobbins in mineral oil. I tried it and it didn't get any oil on the fabric (I really thought it would). The thread ran fine. Did this on both my millie and my DSM just to see if it worked. She definately made me a believer! I don't usually have any thread problems, but once in a while, a cone is either old or tempermental. Cross wind thread is meant to spool off directly above the cone. I find the straight wind smaller spools work better on the horizontal thread holders.

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

I recently had a class with Sharon Schambler and she swears by dunking the cones and bobbins in mineral oil. I tried it and it didn't get any oil on the fabric (I really thought it would). The thread ran fine. Did this on both my millie and my DSM just to see if it worked. She definately made me a believer! I don't usually have any thread problems, but once in a while, a cone is either old or tempermental. Cross wind thread is meant to spool off directly above the cone. I find the straight wind smaller spools work better on the horizontal thread holders.

Not that I want to try this, but...you use enough mineral oil to immerse the cone then sit the thread somewhere to dry? Do you just dip it and lift it out immediately? Does it get to the thread near the cone or do you have to keep dipping it? You have me somewhat intrigued can you tell? Thanks.

Guest Linda S

Sharon soaks her thread in the oil. Merry Jo - were you in the class at MQX West? I took Sharon's Scarlet Serenade class. It was great. Just finished up stitching down my applique' yesterday and washed out the glue. I've never made such a great piece of applique in my life!

Linda, our guild had her for a speaker and a workshop in north San Diego county. I took the workshop and had a blast learning how to do feathers on a DSM. Just took it for fun. She dunks the whole spool and bobbins in a big jar, then blots off the excess with a paper towel. I swore it would wick out from the thread on the fabric, but it didn't at all. She was right. Didn't see a trace of it. I was very surprised!

I bought a quart of silicone thread lube from Stanley Sewing.

www.stanleysewing.com/2010/12/silicone-thread-lube/

and have dunked whole cones of Rainbows in it. I put the cone in, let it sit a few hours, suspended it over the jar so the excess could drip out..overnight. It doesn't stain the quilt top, but it does take awhile for the thread to return to its original color. It isn't noticeable on the quilt top, even before the thread "dries"...just changes the color on the cone a bit. It took about a week to return to the original cone color. The liquid seems to penetrate the whole cone, but this isn't a quick "dunk."

It does work quite well. Its isn't a cheap as mineral oil..but the thread doesn't break.

Guest Linda S

Yes, Sharon soaks her thread in the mineral oil. I know she used to use silicone, but now uses mineral oil instead. I've never done this, as no thread has ever given me any trouble (except a badly wound cone of Arc Melco), so I just haven't needed it. It may really extend the life of thread. Sharon says the thread fibers get all dried out from the manufacturing process.

How lucky you were to have her come to your guild, Merry Jo.

All threads (any brand) will get too dry on the shelf so perhaps that cone of Metro was just dry. Also, if you put the threads in a plastic bin and seal it shut, it could rot over time. I like to get sorta low on thread before I order more because you have no idea how long it has been sitting on the seller's shelf.

Ladies. How long does Sharon soak her thread in mineral oil? I have had trouble with a cone of So fine lately and that is a first for me. Will try that method if someone would give me an idea of the timing on soaking. I find thread almost as addictying as fabric - so probably have more than I need.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I took Sharon's Dancing Feathers class at MQX west. She just puts the spool of thread in the mineral oil and takes it out. She does not let it soak. Also drops the bobbin in. It was a little messy to handle so have something to blot the spool with and wipe your hands. I was the one to handle the spool to thread the machine and was surprised how oily it was and that it did not transfer to the fabric. She also used bobbin geniis in the bobbin. The are teflon and help the tension instead of having a check spring. My machine in the class was having problems with the bobbin over spinning so the tech guy put one in and it worked fine after that. My machine at home has not had a problem but I bought some just in case I run into a situation that I might need it. Also, I have a friend who has a different companies machine and he has had bobbin tension problems so thought I would share with him.

Like Linda I have not had tension problems since I figured out the technique for working my machines tension. I have to admit it is a bit scary to put the spool of thread in the oil.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Peggy. I purchased the bobbin genies, but have not used them. Good thing you reminded me that I have them. Aging is wonderful. Forget so many things. Am going to purchase some mineral oil for my cone of So Fine that ws breaking. Have not had trouble with any other thread and only this one cone of So Fine. Have not used any cotton threads, but have used a variety of thread.

Thanks for all of the information. This forum is wonderful.

Marilyn

Archived