Marking large crosshatch area

barbm

Any suggestions for marking a large area for crosshatch? The diagonal crosshatch on this quilt (see photo of a finished quilt) covers a large part of the center - and a LOT of the quilting dots are gone, so I'm going to have to re-mark them. I'm thinking of using a blacklight pencil, but those long stretches have me worried about skewing. Help???

post--13461907177635_thumb.jpg

Wish I had a good solution, Barb. The practice sheet I tried this on, was pretty good.

I started as near the corner as I could get. Decided if that was the correct angle. then marked each end and the center, then lightly marked the line with the water erase blue pen. Kept marking lines as I went.

Keep an eye on the angle mark on the ruler, and mark accordingly.

Use the longest ruler you have.

A practice piece to check it, might show if it is a good solution for you.

I'm sure someone else will have a better method for doing the marking.

Perhaps secure the top so there are no warps or whoopsies. Then mark as accurately as you can through the longest diagonals both ways with a marker you can really see--blue water-soluble or if you dare, a Frixion pen. Then use that accurate line and your longest acrylic ruler to dot marks for the next line. The guide marks on the ruler should keep you an equal distance from the marked line all along. That's a lot to mark but worth the effort.

As I read back, this is the same advice Rita posted, except for the starting point. Hi Rita!;)

Sylvia, you can get pencils (and chalk for pounce pads) that fluoresce under the blacklights on our machines. The newer model Millies/Freedoms come with the blacklight built in - the older Millies/Freedoms and others machines have to swap out the normal fluorescent bulb for a blacklight (UV) bulb. You can get the bulbs through APQS or some hardware stores. The pencils you can get at the longarm suppliers (they're sometimes called "glow pencils") - I get mine from Heartbeat Quilting (www.heartbeatquilting.com) for $3.

Barb. Do you have Karen McT's whitework quilting book? Instructions are in there ( i believe)...

I took her wholecloth class, and we folded the quilt top to find the center. Marked it. Then used the T-Square/long ruler that Quilter's Rule sells, and marked the "X" point to point on the quilt top, then marked the "+" on the quilt top!

Clear as mud?

Archived