New Open foot

Yesterday my hubby put the new hopping foot assembly on my Millie and I LOVE the new open foot. I can actually see what I'm doing!!! There is a beveled edge foot for getting right up against applique and I haven't tried that one yet but I think I'm going to love it too. We were surprised that the installation was not much more complicated than retiming. Woo-hoo!!

Rita,

Unfortunately, machines with a 20-inch throat (Lenni, Liberty, Discovery and George) will need a brief trip back to the factory to change the foot. This is because the bushings that currently surround the hopping foot must be recessed to allow clearance for the interchangeable set screws to slip into the housing of the machine correctly. This is something that is best done at the factory.

Large-throat machines such as Millies, Freedoms, Luceys and Ultimate I's can be changed by owners themselves if the owner is comfortable with the timing process.

I hope to have photos of the new feet posted very, very soon!

Oh wow. i have been contorting into all sorts of positions trying to see to quilt on the Liberty. (That light bar is SO in the way...) However I really can't afford to have it all shipped back to Iowa from California and my hubby is a mechanical engineer and has kept my machine in great shape, done timing, etc.

So, if directions ever become available for a DIY on replacing that bar and foot I would be very, very interested.

Thanks!

Robin,

The open foot will help you a lot better then the factory foot. I used to have an Ultimate II and it had the old pressed disk foot, which was open and almost flat. The visibility on that foot was the best, I could see everything. The newer factory foots are just like all the other quilting machine brand foots. This open foot will give you a whole best view than the factory foot. Besides, you'll be able to swap out feet whenever you want to suit your needes. I'm going to get one myself here real soon. But it's going to cost me around $500, because I have two machines. Have fun and don't get needled under the pressorfoot. zeke......................

• 3 months later...

Robin,

I am just reading this older post and have a Liberty also.

I have no problem with the placement of my light bar. I can see the foot easily. I think you should be able to also. Something must be different...the belly bar (front pole nearest to your body) should be between your bra line and belly button. You would raise or lower the table to get it at a comfortable spot for you.

Depending on where the needle is (way back or up front), and what technique/ruler work I am doing, sometimes I do stand with my legs wide(makes me shorter!) to get a close up view, but the light bar never blocks the foot for me.

You may want to give it another look to see if the table is too high or too low, or if the bar is not placed properly. Something really sounds wrong! How can you quilt if you can not see the foot???

Good luck!

I was lucky enough to have a new 2011 Freedom so all I had to do was unscrew the old foot and install the new. The open foot is the best. A little harder to use with poly batting but I just sew down a strip about 3/4 inch outside the edges to keep it in check. I got the nifty little set too but haven't used anything except the open foot.

Archived