NQR - Need travel advice from my BC Canadian friends (or anyone else!)

I haven't traveled on a vacation in over a year, so I am ready.

OK, my DH turns 50 this year and he wants to do something extra special to celebrate. I haven't traveled on a vacation in over a year, so I am ready. He is ready for a vacation, too. SSssshhhhhhh! It's a secret so dont' tell him where we're going or what we're doing! :D I'm trying to keep this under wraps.

OK so here is the plan, I just bought tickets to the Sting concert in Vancouver BC on Saturday night, Dec 10. I got great seats close to the stage. He is going to love this concert!!! :) The concert is at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre.

We'll be arriving in Vancouver in the afternoon Dec 8. Plan to hang out on Dec 9 (his birthday) and see some local Vancouver sites...

...that's where I need advice from you... What to see for a couple of days?? Should we rent a car in Vancouver or is that more of a hassle? What a bout a good hotel to stay at near Queen Elizabeth Theatre?

Then, on Sunday (maybe) take the ferry over to Victoria? I want to stay at the Fairmont Empress Hotel for a night or two? I want to do the high tea for sure and have a nice dinner there. It's December so the garden is probably dead by then? Or is it worth the visit to see the garden in mid December? OK , then maybe stay a day or two in Victoria?

...that's where I need advice from you... What to see for a couple of days while in Victoria?? Should we rent a car and drive the highway north? Or what?

Then I am thinking of getting back to the mainland and driving north of Vancouver up in the mountains for a couple of days? Any suggestions? Where to go, where to stay?

...that's where I need advice from you... What to see for a couple of days while north of Vancouver or whatever??

Then we fly home out of Vancouver BC maybe on Dec 15 or 16?

Like I said, this is a special vacation. He only turns 50 once, right? ;) I am ready to splurge a little and make it fun.

Thanks for any advice!!

Shana

Shana, it sounds like you already have a start on a wonderful, memorable trip! What fun....

There will be those who suggest driving the Canadian Rockies (or seeing them from a train) - they are definitely more spectacular than most of the mountains we see here in the states, but I've been to Alaska, and they don't hold a candle to YOUR "hills"! Just sayin'.....

Whatever you plan, have a great time!! And if you lose your way and find yourself just north of Eastern Washington, come on down!;)

Hi sweetie!

Dennis and I were just talking yesterday about a trip to Victoria in the Spring! Besides the Empress and the Gardens, my fave Victoria institution is the Provincial Museum. I love that place and it's only a few blocks from the Empress.

Have a great trip and wish Andre a happy birthday from us!

Thanks girls! :)

@Barb --- I've seen the Canadian Rockies. Even been to Banff. Actually drove through all of BC and Yukon territory but it's been so long ago; like 20 years.... What an amazing trip. It is breathtaking for sure and yes, I want to do it again. Liard Hot Springs was a wonderful memory for me. Sitting in the springs at 10 PM at night sipping wine with the aurora blazing all around above me. What a memory! The next day I think I burned my eyelashes and right eyebrow off when I had a bright idea to lite the camp fire logs using white gas from my coleman cook stove. Yep I'm a dork! I was young... and stupid. Good thing it was a small flash fire and just got my eyelashes. :P

@ Meg --- Andre (solo) just visited his mom in NY this summer in June. We (together) definitely plan to go back some time...

And I would LOVE LOVE to see Vicki (and you) again. She's adorable. Her new web site looks great. The penguin is cute! :) Give her a hug from me... K?

@ Linda. Thanks! I'll put the Provincial Museum on the list of things to do. So... curious... in mid December is there any "garden" to see? Or will it all be dormant at that time?

Shana, that sounds like a great trip!!! How adventurous do you want to be? I once did a 250 mile bike ride (when I was much, much younger) on Victoria/Vancouver Island (I can never keep it straight). I came "this" close to bungee jumping in Nanaimo. If you're interested...here's the website: http://www.vancouverisland.com/recreation/?id=156

And, when you're on that island, its just a hop, skip and jump to take the ferry to Port Angeles. I'm sure Andre would love to share his birthday with the new Washington residents. I'll let you play in my new yurt...provided its up then.

You're going to have such a fun trip! I love that you're surprising him. How do you plan to let him in on the surprise? I made Dennis guess what we were doing on his 50th after giving him all sorts of clues.

LOL! Thanks, Dory. I'm pretty adventurous. I haven't bungee jumped before but I did a tandem parachute jump out of a plane once and that was super fun! :) I'd do that again! Not sure about bicycle riding 250 miles in mid December with chances of ice or snow on the ground... I plan on renting a car the entire trip, so we can keep our agenda pretty open where we go. I'm starting the "vision" of the trip and considering all of my options! :) Maybe... put the rental car on the ferry to Port Angeles would be fun! I like being spontaneous.

Congrats on your new home.

Oh and you are right... it's Vancouver Island and Victoria is a city at the tip of that island. The Empress Hotel is in the city of Victoria. I plan on going there for sure!

Shana

http://www.expedia.ca/Queen-Elizabeth-Theatre-Hotels.0-l6089619-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels#

The link will provide you a list of hotels around the QE theatre.

There's a shuttle from Canada Place to the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

If you stay downtown you don't need a car, bus service is great.

Stanley Park is there as well.

Festival of Light at Vanduesen Gardens may be on by then.

The Olympic Torch is down town, basically lots to do downtown.

Once I think of more I'll post. Don't forget Whistler.

You'll have to check out Omnimax, awesome experience on the big screen if you've never been.

In Victoria, there's the Empress Hotel (Tea Time!)

Check out Hatley Castle if you have time, or Craigdaroch Castle (think I spelled that wrong).

Wax and science museums if you're into that.

There's a horse and carriage ride in Victoria.

This should keep you busy for a while. Cheers and have a ton of fun!!!:D :D :D

There's so much to do, I know I missed a lot!!

The Buchart Gardens just north of Victoria shouldn't be missed. There will be a terrific light display, and the gardens are magical in the winter -- or what they call winter out there in Lotusland! You'll see the Legislative Building (a great night sight) if you're at the Empress; the Empress, the Royal BC Musem and the Leg are within a stone's throw of each other, and Emily Carr's house is on the museum grounds. She is one of our best-known Canadian painters -- many of her works are in the Vancouver Art Gallery.

If you want to drive north of Vancouver, you can go to Whistler where the Winter Olympics were held and many affluent people have ski chalets.

Victoria is a great "walking town," and Vancouver has very good public transportation. One of our favourite destinations in Victoria is Beacon Hill Park -- just across Douglas from the Empress grounds. Both Vancouver and Victoria have a plethora of ethnic restaurants. Also in Victoria you'll find Satin Moon quilt shop, and if you drive a couple of miles north of Victoria to Mattick's Farm you'll find another quilt shop there. Vancouver certainly has a more lively nightlife scene; we used to think they rolled up the streets in Victoria about 8:30, but that's not so true lately. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Barbara

Hi Shana

Ok after reading what you would like to do I'm thinking you won't have much time. To go to Victoria on the Sunday you have to have a 2 hr ferry ride out of Tawassen and maybe a ferry wait depending on the traffic unless you book the ferry online and reserve a spot. There are a lot of museums etc around the hotel that will keep you busy along with the sites. You could drive north of Victoria to Nanaimo and catch the ferry back to Horseback Bay (but the highways are not the greatest if the weather is snowing) so if you come back thru Horseshoe Bay you can take the Squamish Hwy to Whistler which is north of Vancouver it is very nice there a ski community but it has lots of shops and trails etc. the drive from Victoria, ferry ride to Whistler is an all day trip, and you are leaving the 15 16 from Vancouver. From Whistler it is approx 4 hr drive depending on weather and traffic to the airport. That pretty much is all the time you have. Hope I've helped you out a bit. And sorry no cruise ships in the winter they start Mothers day in May and end in September. If you stay downtown Vancouver you won't need a car but you sound like you want to travel a bit so you will need a car as everything is quite far apart and over water. Have a fun trip you will enjoy beautiful British Columbia. Also if you decide to stay in Vancouver Granville Island is wonderful with shops and a huge farmers market. Hockey games are a big thing in Vancouver you could check that out too to see if one is on or not.

Thanks Susan, I will reserve ferry and hotels in advance and leave a few days to be spontaneous. We will be there Dec 8 through Dec 17 (a little more than a week). We plan on renting a car (in advance) and doing some site seeing, hiking, too. I would like to drive up Vancouver Island and stay a night or two there up the island, and visit areas around Whistler, too. I love driving and seeing the countryside. I really appreciate all of the local advice. Will definitely spread some of my wealth at the local quilt shops, too! :)

Hey Dory, thanks for the idea... I just locked in two bungee jumps for us to dive off the bridge near Whistler for Dec 9 (his birthday) and I'm thinking of staying 2 nights at either the Hilton or the Fairmont in Whistler... maybe even a horse drawn carriage ride that evening.

He has no idea what we're doing, but I told him I was booking all of the reservations for the trip and he says "Just keep the cost under $50K." OK, I'll try... :P

Shana, That sounds like a wonderful 50th birthday celebration for Andre! Everything you are mentioning sounds perfect (except the bungee jumps). It's been about 13 or 14 years since I've been to Victoria for tea. I've never been to Vancouver (city), but someday I hope to get there, too.

Have a wonderful time and please wish Andre a very Happy Birthday from me.

Shana:

We lived in Victoria for 5 years, all the suggestions are wonderful.

Buchart Gardens are beautiful any time of the year. Depends on the weather, they have a pretty light show after dark, but check out. Minature Gardens, the Wax Museum, Underwater Gardens, and the double decker tours are great for info on Victoria. Provincial Museum is awesome. Cragdarrach Castel will be decorated for Christmas.

Walk the sea wall in Victoria if it is not too windy. Hang on to each other if it is!!! But there is a drive around the sea wall that is beautiful and goes into Oak Bay where all the old money and homes are. Oak Bay has some cute shops and eating places.

Rogers Chocolates!!! Don't miss it.

Lots of good resturants in dowtown Victoria, and if you can, travel north of Victoria to Sydney - lots of little shops, art galleries, the quay has been developed, can walk the downtown, no problem. Mattick's Farm in on the way, I spent hours and hours there, watching my three girls play fast pitch.

Sooke - west of Victoria, beautiful drive, some isolated beaches to visit, little shops. Hatley Castle is stunning, would be on the drive. Esquimalt is a naval base, ajoining Victoria, has a historic lighthouse there.

Not sure if there are any whale tours, probably done for the season.

Pacific Rim National Park is stunning anytime of the year - all the way up the island about 5 - 6 hours to drive, longer to take all the little stops to look at shops, small communities. Tofino and Uculet are unque communities. I love the ruggednesss of the surf there, (breath - taking surf) and there is a rainforest to see as well. The drive is stunning.

There are some great B & B places on the island.

Hockey game is a great idea, the Canucks are a good team, so it should be a good game. CFL football will be over for the season. . . sigh.

Bring rain and wind gear (rainy season and gray) and be prepared to dress in layers (like I should tell you how to dress for the weather!!) But the dampness gets into your clothes, and when I lived there, chilled me to the bone. I usually alternated a fleece zip up under my Gortex for the winter and was comfortable and turtle necks as a base and you will be toasty warm. Plus Gortex blocked the wind, as well.

You will have lots of fun!!! ;);) Will you be blogging on the way?

Joanne Flamand aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Designs

www.artisticquiltdesign.wordpress.com

Shana - try to take a horse drawn carriage tour around Victoria http://www.tallyhotours.com/. You'll be able to find them just down from the Empress - across from the harbour - we did that when we took my mom there for her 75th birthday - it was very nice! In December I think the Parliament Buildings will be lit up with Christmas lights (maybe they are lit up all the time at night anyway) so it will be beautiful. Enjoy the harbour area - it's beautiful there too. And Butchart Gardens - a must if you're there! If you're into a bit of fun, there's a little pub (I use that term loosely) called Big Bad John's - it's right downtown -http://www.strathconahotel.com/big_bad_john_s.html . We go there for a couple every time we are in Victoria - it's pretty much the opposite of high tea at the Empress - but a lot of fun!

BTW - my birthday is on Dec 9th, as well - I'm not as young as your husband, tho!

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

Archived