East coast snow storm??

How are all you ladies on the East Coast? Did the big snow storm cause you much trouble? I read where so many were without power. Nasty to get a storm like that so early in the season when the leaves are still on the trees. The wet snow makes them so heavy and then they break, bringing down power lines with them.

I'm watching the news and saying a prayer of thanks! I only ended up with about 3" of snow so the trees are bending but not falling. I think Bonni and Charlotte both got slammed. Charlotte lives about 40 min. south east of me and they are saying that area got up to 12". I haven't heard from her this morning so I'm sure her power is out. Bonnie is about an hour south and slightly east of me and she was supposed to get more than me too. I hope they are both safe. CT looks like it really got slammed.

DD just e-mailed that the daughter of a friend is getting married today in Conn.............10" of snow, no power, flights cancelled, etc. Their location does have a backup generator so the wedding can go on. Other people who are there for the wedding have no power at their hotel, not hot water, no gas at the stations............a real mess.

We were suppposed to get 7 inches, but ended up with only 3. We're an hour southwest of Penn State University so I missed a half of the game until they "fixed" the TV station. It was the only game not on. Today it's sunny and bright and warmer. Weather's been nuts this year. Thanks for asking! I hope Charlotte and Bonnie are OK.

I took pictures of my back yard, green leaves still on the oaks and maples with lots of snow on the ground and on the branches. Really wild to look at. If I knew how to post them on here I would. My outside plants were still flowering as we only had one hard frost until this and everything near my house must have been protected from the cold. I just shoveled the walkway for the Trick or Treaters that might show up this evening.

I'm lucky, Sat I was hosting a Quiltathon for Quilts For Kids, when the storm was coming through. I had a houseful of women here quilting until 10p, the lights flickered but didn't lose power. The next town over, the one past that and the next few past those all lost power. Schools are closed all over MA. A state of emergency was called in MA. We broke snow records some dating back to the Civil War. Crazy.

Dianne

I was on vacation in Clarksburg, West Virginia taking an advanced IQ class. It started to snow and I worried about driving home. A lady told me, "you have 4 wheel drive and snow tires don't you"? I asked her, "what's snow tires"? I'm from Virginia Beach. No more late October travel for me.

My 8 hour drive up was "splendor of the fall colors" the trip back was a "winter wonderland"!!!! I made it home safe and now back to work, ugh.:D:D:D

Although we didn't lose power we got 8" of wet heavy snow. There is still snow around the edges of the driveway where we shoveled and under the trees where there is shade. Even with the outside daytime temperature in the 50s we still have some snow on the ground. The leaves are still hanging on in the trees. I hope this is not a prelude of what is to come.

I watched the NASCAR race on Sunday and know they didn't get any snow. You are so lucky Vicki!!!! This storm was way to early.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and concerns. Power was finally turned on tonight and I am so thankful to have water, heat and lights. It has been a long 5 days and I am thankful that it's been warm enough not to have to worry about pipes freezing. Lots of clean up ahead and most likely not much quilting but all is well.

Archived