Dealing with full borders. Pics.

I must've missed something. What "technique" are you talking about? Assuming it was an earlier post, I "searched" under full borders and didn't find anything. I'm interested in what you specifically did because I know I have a piano keybd border coming in a couple days and she's new to quilting. (Don't mean to assume the worst, but . . . trying to be realistic.) Would you please direct me and explain HOW to get to the information. (I don't navigate so well :(

TIA

Sherry Osland

Praise Works Quilting

Abilene, KS

Phillis thanks for your photos! I too have had a few quilts that look like yours. What I have done is a feather with a stipple around them to quilt them flat. It just takes a bit of fussing with the left hand while the right hand is guiding the machine.

It is good to know that a straight line "piano key" works as well on puffy borders.

By the way the quilt looks great....................would love to see a full photo of it :)

OK Phyllis, like Sherry Osland, I cannot find the technique you have been writing about anymore, I have seen it yesterday or the day before, but it seems to have been dissapeared.

I know you were writing about pre-stitching along the edges of the borders, with channel locks, but I don't remember the whole story.

Can you mail this technique again, by this topic?

Thanks

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

While blow-drying my hair, the "light bulb" came on - quilting it as a piano keybd is possibly the "technique" (?) you're talking about. I looked too quickly and hadn't realized the border isN'T pieced.

As Sylvia asks, are there any other tips you'd share with this?

TIA

Sherry Osland

Praise Works Quilting

Abilene, KS

Phyllis, I just found the before picture, you did wonders with this quilt - it looks great. When will we ever educate the piecers how to put on borders to get them flat. Seems like we take so much pain in piecing the quilt and then sometimes slap a couple of borders on to make it bigger without measuring, etc. Been there and done that - but now I get to educate my quilt quild on how to put on borders - maybe I'll never have this problem come to my machine LOL, LOL.....Sharon.

I posted the 'before' picture first, so it's in the More new posts section. ( I don't know how to do a second post with another photo and make it come right after my first post. ) Sorry about that, but you can see the 'before' picture, just go back and look at the first post under this title.

This technique is just stitching straight out from the body of the quilt, going along the edge for a while, then back into the body again, SID, and then out again. Really easy and quilts up fast. I'll post a full photo when I get chance to take some at the weekend.

Guest Linda S

This looks really good. I usually use large McTavishing for wonky borders like this. Then you really can't notice the puckering at the edges. It seems the customer will still have issues to deal with then they go to put the binding on.

Linda

Let me show you what I am dealing with right now as we speak....Have you ever had one of those quilts that you would rather cry than work on?? I have one right now. I knew it was - oh lets face it wavy doesn't even touch it - it's bad...I have unloaded the quilt and taken one border off trying to "fix" it. :( But I'm dragging my feet...I am kicking and screaming...but it's not getting done. I need to focus.

i had one a couple of weeks ago, didn't really notice it was really out of square til i gotten to the middle of it...was doing cutom work on it too. Needless to say I don't have the picture today but will dig it up. I had to take it out and rip it all out and send it back. Looked like an hour glass. I must have lost my glasses not to notice it when I pinned it in. Doubt if this trick would have helped on this one, but keeping this idea in mind for others that aren't to bent out of shape..:D

Thanks for the tip Phyllis. Wow, you are a magician. The before picture was a nightmare. Did you use extra batting in the border to help take up the additional fabric? It looks quite puffy. Also, did you start at the left and work toward the right or did you start in the middle and work outwards? Has anyone gathered extra fabriic onto twill tape then fastening the tape to the canvas?

Vicki

Hi Mary Beth, looks like your blue border is full, so I would treat both blue and red borders as one and quilt across them both. As for coming to play, sure, but you signed off that it is chilly, so I think I'll stay where I am right now. We are having torrential rain just now, but at least it's fairly mild. I HATE ice and snow!

Vicki, no, I didn't add extra batting and I started from the left and worked across. I did measure the distance and devided by 1 1/2" which was the width of my chanels, to see if it would work out even or if I would have to fudge a little somewhere, which I did. I did the first row into the quilt, had my ruler marked with masking tape at the 1 1/2", put it at the point where I had just sewn, stitched in the ditch accross the 1 1/2', then back out to the border. Tomorrow I will be able to photograph the whole quilt and I will post again for those of you who have asked fo it.

Archived