New work on blog, and business question

I guess this should really be two posts, but that feels greedy, so lets see how it does as one.

Firstly I've been quilting up a storm. Partly as a way to maintain my sanity, and partly for work. It seems to be working well on both counts. There are new pictures up on my blog, http://ferfab.blogspot.com.

I am really getting into doing art quilts on the longarm, for me it is proving to be the perfect tool. The jabberwock was quilted entirely on it, and being able to drive the machine with one hand and lift the scales with the other was fantastic. To think there was a time when I didn't think the machine could do this. Thanks for showing me the light Myrna.

As soon as I am finished here I will be loading the next art quilt. A Che Guevara quilt for a friends house warming present. He only moved in two months ago so I think I've doen pretty well on that one :)

On to the business question. I am thinking of giving a discount voucher to students taking classes with me, when the project would be suitable for longarm quilting. I am thinking perhaps 15% discount? My reasoning is that I would like to expand my customer base and the people taking a class have already made a connection with me. Is thins something you've tried? Does it work? Are there pitfalls I need to think about? I also rather like the idea of getting to quilt more of basically the same quilt, I know it isn't exciting but it is very good practice.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of people on this list that have far more experience of promoting a quilting business than I do.

Ferret

I don't know if this helps, but here is something I did.

I took a mystery class which consisted of 15 quilters. The teacher was a friend of mine and didn't mind at all including a coupon with the last instructions that said if they brought the quilt top to me they would get 10% off the quilting. I hoped to get at least 3 quilts out of the class...well, I had 9!!! Luckily most had certain ideas on how they wanted them quilted, so I didn't have to repeat the same design over and over.

I had just got my baptist fan from Circle Lord around that time and I really wanted some exposure for it so people could see it. I told my friend, the instructor that if she let me do hers up quick with the BF, I would give her a great deal (free!). She took me up on it, and that led to more work with the Circle Lord, bonus!!!

So, I think, from time to time, if you can think of an idea to expand your customer base where the customer also gets a deal...it's a good thing.

Sandra

Hi Ferret,

Your art quilts are fantastic. I am anxious to see your new work but can't get the link above to work.

I think the idea for your student is a great idea if you are looking to expand. I would advise putting a time limit on a voucher.

I'll be at Claudia's teaching in January hope to see you there. And bring you work to share :) I would really like to see it in person.

Myrna

Myrna

Myrna,

I couldn't open Ferret's link either. But when you go to her website and use the link to her blog there - that works.

How I wished I could come to meet the two of you at Claudia's in January! But I can't make it this time - lots of important stuff going on at my children's school (pre-school change counseling and such) during that week that I mustn't miss :(.

But I'm planning to attend MQS next year...

Take care,

Birgit

Another though on giving discounts, do you think a discount voucher would encourage people to take classes?

Also some people say to restrict the voucher to the quilt made in the class. What would be the disadvantage to just making it a discount off one quilt?

ferret

I would suggest that you take Myrna's advice and put a time limit on it, as well as limiting it to the class that people are taking. I would further add that you might restrict the 10% or 15% off to only the quilting, not including thread, batting, backing or taxes on your certificate. You might also consider wording your certificate to say that it's not to be combined with any other offer.

I've done certificates in the past, mostly given them to good customers at Christmas time to drum up business for the after Christmas slump. Whereas most - and I do mean most- people are exceptionally delighted to have been offered this gift ( it is a gift of my time and expertise), there have been people who have taken advantage of my lack of wording on the certificate itself, even though the card it was sent in was quite clear. I've done a quite a few certificate quilts that I've lost a significant amount of money (time) on, and am quite careful about how I do it now. Do stick to your guns about the expiry date on the certificate, you may have people coming to you for this discount in 4 or 5 years. If you were to resrict it to class participants, then not put an expiry date on it, that might work.

Just my experience,

Lisa

Wow Lisa,

I thought I might have missed something but it seems I missed a lot. Maybe that is a good thing in someways, I expect people to be decent and reasonable. I guess you need to word it like a wish :) Avoiding any unexpected interpretations. What I want to offer is one discounted quilt per person taking the class. Thanks for mentioning thread and wadding, I hadn't though of that at all and that would have been a big problem.

I think you might have just saved me one very expensive learning experience.

Thanks

Ferret

I too, when I teach a class, give a 10% discount certificate on a future quilting job. Also, when I quilt a class sample for someone else, I give that instructor certificates to hand out to the students. I usually say something like " Quilted like the sample, a special price of $79 (reg $90) or 10% off the quilting design of your choice". I make sure I pick something that's pretty easy for me, and that I would mind doing again and again. It usually works well....

Although, I am so backlogged now, I suppose I don't really need to anymore................

Ferret

I will be teaching in Germany January 22-26 and Mark will be doing a maintenence class on the 27 (I THINK) you can check it out on Claudia's website.

Myrna

Claudia Pfeil

Ritterstra?e 166

47805 Krefeld, Deutschland

Tel: 0 21 51 / 77 38 51

Mobil: 0 172 / 244 84 73

E-mail: post@quilt-und-co.de

Web site: www.quilt-und-co.de

Another question :)

What length of time limit? You're right I don't really want them hanging arround forever but at the same time I want to give people time to complete something. I am told that most UK quilters only finish one quilt a year. On the other hand if I give them a year I may be really busy by the time they book the quilt in. This really is a lot harder than I thought. I am thinking 6 months might be fair?

Myrna, yes I remember now, about Germany. I can't afford to go :( I will just have to hope you guys come back at a later date.

Ferret

Hi--

Ferret, perhaps UK quilters only do one quilt a year bacause they don't have a wonderful longarm quilter to finish their tops for them--you!!!

If you want to have discount vouchers out there, explain to your customers that the voucher is good for 6 months, but if they need longer than that they can book a time that you will save for them within a certain timeframe (say, 6 months longer) but it will require a $50 non-refundable deposit to hold the spot. If the top is ready by then, you are happy and they are happy. You can bet they will have it ready if they already have money invested.

Your work is beautiful and you will soon be sooooo busy!! Good luck.

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa USA

Hi Linda,

what a good idea, I bet you are right, once they have paid a deposit they will get their quilt finished.

I think the biggest problem for quilters in the UK is the cost of fabric. IIf you were on minimum rate your take home money for an hour wouldn't buy you half a metre of fabric. There aren't any cheap fabric shops selling fabric suitable for quilting. I think this makes a huge differenence. I buy a lot of fabric from the US because even after shipping and taxes it is half the price I pay here. Even the wholesalers can't match the US prices.

It's a real shame as it limits who can even consider quilting as a hobby.

Thanks for the vote of confidence too, I am finding it very hard to get any customers. The other longarmers in this country are really surprised, especially as I had a multi page article in one of our national quilting magazines a while ago. Not one lead from it :( I am hoping I can do better from people who already know me.

Ferret

Archived