How do you charge for thread?

Do you have a thread charge when you quilt for others? One person I know charges per bobbin ( that includes thread for top and bottom) Sometimes I have been charged for a spool of thread and then am given what was not used.

Does anyone figure the thread in with the per square inch charge? How do you do that???

Thanks for your answers.

Since my charge for E2E is minimal I charge $2 per bobbin. No one has batted an eye over the charge and I have found that this charge is good for my Fil Tec bobbins and any thread I use for the top. For the small quilts the charge can be $4-6 and for the king size $10-14 depending on the complexity of the quilting. Since thread prices have gone up substantially, I really need to charge for it. I don't charge for thread changes.

To me the best way is by the bobbin.

Some quilts are so heavily quilted and others are much lighter, so to charge by the quilt size did not seem fair to me. I have used ten bobbins on some small wall hangings! I wind all my bobbins, which makes it easy to keep track of what I use on each quilt.

I took a look at the cost of the threads (including shipping) and amount per bobbin and decided on $1/bobbin. The customer knows exactly how much went into her quilt and seems to think the price is reasonable. It is like 50 cents for the top and 50 cents for the bottom thread.

If I have to order something just for them, that I do not think I'd ever be able to use again, I ask them to pay for the cone (plus the shipping).

It took a while to figure out what I was comfortable with, as there are many ways to cover this cost. This is just what feels right to me. Maybe there is a better way...good topic!

I also charge by the bobbin. Ordering and shipping from online wholesale sources for pre-wound Bottomline, which I use almost exclusively, is now bumping $.90 a bobbin. Doubling that amount to compensate for the top thread seems logical. If I have an emergency and need a specific color I can buy BL pre-wounds locally and at full retail they are $1.30 per bobbin. If I decide to wind my own, the thread and my time winding them is even more expensive than pre-wounds.

I charge $2 per bobbin used. If I have a partial bobbin left, I give my customer a break and don't charge for that last one. I have used as few as 2 bobbins and as many as 24 bobbins on a quilt. This keeps it fair for all since they pay for what I use--which is close to replacement cost. I also use Magna-Glides and charge $1.75 each since the yardage is a lot less on these--less bobbin yardage means less top yardage so I feel this is fair.

No complaints as yet.

As an aside--you get to charge exactly what you want to in your business. Whenever I get testy because I am facing deadlines for quilts or are pressuring myself to take just one more a month, my dear capitalistic hubby tells me to raise my prices!!! Then I panic and wonder if I will be driving business to my competitors. He wisely reminds me that fewer quilts at a higher price will be easier on me and earn me the same amount per year. Duh!

I am lucky to have lots of quilts scheduled and a loyal customer base. I raised my prices two years ago and will be looking at that again this January.

Yes, prices are up on our supplies.

When I started my business, I ordered quite a bit in thread, batting and other supplies. I've re-stocked as I went along but found just this week I had to place some big refill orders. I was very surprised to see the price hikes for the items and for the shipping. This morning I was looking at my batting prices to be sure the new prices were "covered". Wow... shipping is over $2/queen batt. I hate to do it, but I have to pass this along with the general price increase.

With you at $2/bobbin, Linda, I better take a look at my costs again when that invoice comes in. I thought I was safe at the dollar, but with the numbers you are facing, I may be too low.

I'd rather quilt than calculate costs!

Archived