I did it--first quilt for $$!

It's my first!!--feels like having a baby, not quite so much pain, though. I did my first customer quilt this weekend. It's a baby quilt (42 X 52). Customer wanted a simple panto, poly batting. I was glad to oblige. All went well--I even successfully managed some significantly wavy borders. Would have been close to painless, had I not forgotten at the end to double-check the pattern placement. I ended up sewing TWO rows that I had to frog. Good thing I found a handy new tool at Innovations for frogging! It works like a charm.

Took me forever, of course, 'cause I was trying to be super careful. I'll probably end up making about $3/hour! But it's pretty and square and done. I have another customer quilt in the pipeline, so I feel like I'm actually on my way.

So today was back to the "real" job, thinking again about how much longer I have to wait before I can "retire" to long-arming.

$3.00/hour. Most of us have been there/done that. I'll never forget my first quilt and DH kept saying "are you making any $$?" NOPE! I was not but . . I am now! :)

You've taken a big step on the way to doing great things. Have fun and congratulations.

Don't ever forget the feeling of having finished your first paying customer's quilt!

Guest Linda S

I've managed to get my first one on the frame but I haven't got the nerve to start yet! :o Actually, I had to get my allergy shots today and am a wee bit wheezy, so I think I will begin tomorrow. Somehow, I'm a bit scared. I know it will be fine -- she doesn't want custom, I've done several charity quilts, lots of doodling and PPPing . I'm just so nervous! I'd best get over it though. I now have four quilts to do. I will begin tomorrow evening. No ifs, ands, or buts (butts?)!! ;)

Linda

Congrats Alayne, :D

and yes I know the story about the pattern being off, have one on the machine now and I was hoping to have it ready to sell at the quilt show that opens friday, but I dont see it happening.

Can you PLEASE share with us your nifty froggin tool, I love notions that make life easier, but my husband hates the credit card bills he gets for it.

Linda, you and your PPPing, that makes me giggle everytime. I wanna put you on the leash and take you for a walk so you dont mess on my carpet, LOL.

I will keep all of the new potential money makers in my prayers. I too am in that spot and hopefully it will take off soon, just as I know that yours will. Of all of my years of self-help recovery the very first phrase I learned was "trust the process" and I use it a lot these days.

Blessings and hugs

Originally posted by Carolyn

as it relates to quilting? How does one try and avoid 'frogging' and, last, but not least, what does the 'frogging' tool do? TIA

Carolyn

Carolyn: Frogging is "ripping" (rippit . . rippit). We try to avoid "frogging" by making no boo-boos that have to come out.

And, the frogging tool refers to different types of seam rippers.

Judy Laquidara

I have received my first "customer" quilt...sort of a through the grapevine..heard you have a longarm...etc....I don't know if I want to even go into business...but, sitting in my sewing room is a quilt that took twelve years to make. It is two colors. A green solid and rust print. the pattern is a sort of windmill. It is 102' X 102"

Here is the problem. She doesn't have enough green remaining to bind, so she is planning on using the border and wrapping it around, folding it under and hand sewing it down. I am planning on an all over tumbling leaf panto. I've never done one like this, I do edge to edge, stitch binding to the edge, and all my beginning and ends are covered and secure. I would like to see if I can quilt for others...but this is not a good start.

So, how close to the edge can I quilt, and leave her enough room. How do I deal with my starts and stops to secure those tails?? Do I baste the sides down, then take out that stitching??

Please help!! Thanks.

Cheryl

My new frogging tool that I just love is called a "Squizzer." It is in the current Connecting Threads catalog #81630. You can probably also find it on line at connectingthreads.com. I like it cause the sharp edge of the tool is on top, not the edge that you slip under the thread, and seems much less likely to rip the fabric.

I, too, have a big quilt where the quilter is planning to turn under excess from the quilt top for the binding. Any suggestions?

Fortunately, this quilt top is from my son's mother-in-law--the two of us are doing this for our kids. But this is the first time she's given a quilt to a longarmer and she didn't understand what we need. I'm hoping she will still have more backing fabric, so I can add on some inches there.

Congratulations on your first! It took me a couple of dozen quilts before I quit having butterflies altho I still get an occasional anxious moment but once I start the feeling goes away.

I have quilts come in from handquilters who are used to cutting the backing very close to the top and have never used a longarmer quilter before. I have them sew on 'bumpers' (strips about six inches wide) just like they do for the handquilting frame and this will give me enough to pin on and clamp and let me control how far to the edge I want to quilt. I don't want to mess with sewing the bumpers on so I tell them that if I do it there will be a twenty-five dollar charge. They also get a polite lessson in 'why extra backing is needed'.

Mary in CA

Alayne,

Thanks for sharing your froggin tool.

You know what I use that I like better is a seam ripper that is made of surgical steel.

It kinda looks like a cats claw, but even sharper.

I like it cause it has a flat nose on it and then I can hook around the stich and then the bladed edge on it will cut it.

A pair of tweezers works great to.

I can take a picture of it if you want and post it here.

Archived