Sign in to follow this  
whitepinesquilter

Needing a replacement roller bar?

A couple months ago I re-did my canvas leaders and didn't give much thought that, after I was done, they were not even edge to edge. I can quilt and, with some extra pinning and tugging, and once in awhile a piece of batting stuffed in the rolled up backing, have my pantograph rows even. But quilting the other night my mind was wandering and I got to putting all this together. I had noticed that my backing bar had a very slight bow to it some time ago, but figured that was just because of the quilt on it. Now I've looked at it, and spent time rolling it around without a quilt on and realized it, indeed, is bowed. Is there a way to fix one that has done this or is a replacement in order?

Does anyone know if there is a way to straighten a roller? Or would anyone have an older table with 14' rollers that would be willing to sell? Mine is the older square metal sided table. I only need one roller if it needs replaced, but would take what comes on the table. It doesn't sound like Carroll has extra old ones around or I suspect I would have had an answer from them. As it is, with my leaders compensating (the leaders are longer on the edges than the center where the bar slightly bows) I can do a good job keeping rows straight, but I don't know how long this will work. Any suggestions or a table for sale? Thanks!!

Marci

Ultimate I - Three days from being stitch regulated!

A865FFE96B99D13D2E3C09AF2B8376EA.png
2009 Freedom, and a 1989 Ulti I w/Intellistitch

Check and make sure that the bar isn't too "tight" in the spot. I don't have my manual handy, but one of the things I remember seeing in it was that if the bar was in too "tight" or too "loose" that there would be bowing. I'd suggest adjusting that before anything else, but perhaps someone else more knowledgeable than I can jump in here. It's possible things are just too loose or too tight from when you re-installed the bar.

is there a leveler bar on the old style tables? if so...can you change it out for the bar that seems tweaked out of round?

Kristina at website http://withakquilting.blogspot.com/ and personal blog http://froggybottomquilting.blogspot.com/

Hoppily quilting along with FROGGER - my Green Millennium, and TOAD - my Liberty. Quiltazoid equipped too!

Thanks for the info, you guys. I appreciate it, yet will take more suggestions as well!

Kristina, I have a leveler bar because I switched out my batting bar when I put different frame sides on. So, in essence, I upgraded to a "newer" square legged frame that is designed for a leveler bar.

As for switching them out, I use all three roller bars when I load my quilts most of the time. The leveler bar doesn't have the sprocketed end like the other three, so I cannot use that one. My bars have rods welded in them, and the end of the metal rods go through some type of round brass bushing that swivels (clear as mud? :o). There really is no way to loosen or tighten them up within my older frame.

I hope to find someone that has a frame they are willing to part with so I can use the rollers, but in the meantime I'll try to keep squeaking by. I quilt for myself and family (and they can be pretty forgiving) but if I decide to expand out I guess I may have to consider a new table.

Thanks again for helping me with suggestions and ideas, I appreciate it!

Marci

Ulti I "Mizz Mona"

I have a 14 ft frame and noticed that my leveler bar has a little bow to it and has had it for several years...APQS told me just to keep it rolled so that it bowed up and it should eventually even back out, it hasn't but I have marked it with a piece of tape so I know to keep it tape up....they said that the weight of the longer 14 ft bars sometimes causes them to bow.

aedc2cc10e0045c5397509e8f6b74d4d.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/

Proud Millie Owner!

Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time

Custom Long Arm Quilting

Marci: I've straightened my rollers (they were not badly bent). Remove the roller. put one end on the floor (concrete floor in the garage would be great) rotate the roller until the bend is on the up side, put pressure on the bend, and bend it back in place. Sounds easier than it is to do. Keep sighting down the roller, and bending on it until it's straight. If there is a way to lock it in place on your frame, you could do it easier in the frame. Mine were on an old table with "buck boards" so there was no way for me to keep them from rotating while leaning on them, so I did it on the floor. They bend slowly so there isn't too much risk of over bending, but take it easy at first until you get some feel for how much pressure it takes to bend them. Don't lean so hard on the roller in the future. I think that's how they get bent. I don't think a taught backing will bend the roller. Good luck. Jim

Thanks for the help. I have the sprockets on the end that I think I can try it that while the roller is on the frame. Thought about that but was afraid I would damage it. But I know I'm not that strong so will give it a try. Again, thanks!! Marci