Intelliquilter Speed Question

Kari

I don't have IQ and have only observed computer aided quilting on a Statler/Gammil combination. In watching someone quilt on the Statler it appeared significantly "slower" than the way I quilt pantographs on my Milli. It appears when the speed up the execution it starts to round out the points for less defined quilting. This is something I haven't experienced on the Milli -- I suspect because of the bigger motor and the "perfect stitch" design which allows points to be sharp.

Does this carry over if IQ is installed or are you forced into a slower speed to allow for more definition.

I just timed myself going through an alluminum bobbin wound with Signature cotton thread. It was a fairly easy panto (but one with lots of points) and no breaks or stops required. It took me 6 minutes. I'm curious how the time would differ if I had done the same on IQ.

Anybody every time a bobbin on IQ?

Kari Schell

APQS Millenium

Brooklyn Park, MN

Guest Linda S

I never get into technicalities like timing how long it takes to use up a bobbin, etc. I think it would depress me to know. However, I do have an IQ on my Liberty, and I can tell you there is no way I could stitch a panto as fast as my IQ does. I didn't even know my machine could go that fast!!

Hi Kari,

I have a Millenium and IQ installed almost 3 months ago and loving it. I am unable to answer your question because like Linda, I never paid attention to the technicalities, I am happy with the end result.

In my opinion, your best bet is to contact one of the IQ reps like Andrea Huffman, Helen Baczynski or Crystal Smythe who owns 2 Milleniums, both IQ equipped.

Corey

I have never timed my bobbins either, so can't really answer your question on that.

There are alot of variables as to how fast you can stitch a panto with IQ. I find myself doing more dense and intricate designs with it, more than I would hand guided. For me it is not really about speed, but being able to multi task while the IQ is running for me.

As far as speed, though, with the supermotors, you can run the IQ quite fast and still maintain accuracy. It has what is called dwell and there are 3 levels that you can set. Dwell gives you a slight to a longer hesitation in the points to make sure they are crisp and not rounded off.

The speed of your IQ will vary depending on the pattern too. Some very dense patterns with lots of directional changes may be happier running at a slightly lower speed. On the flip side, there are some wide open pantos that you can sail through at incredibly fast speeds.

I now carry around a baby monitor on my waistband so that I can hear IQ beep when it reaches the end of a row or runs out of bobbin. Then I go back downstairs, restart and walk away. IQ is kinda like my own personal employee that never calls in sick and is willing to work as much as I need. :)

Have you seen IQ in action? I think you'd be surprised at how fast the new Super Motors on IQ will allow it to fly!

Is there any technical information out there that would compare the speed with and without Intelliquilter? Having watched a Statler "in action" when working on some charity quilts with our quilt group, I had pretty much decided the "slow speed" had eliminated my desire for a computerized machine. I was pretty sure I could have done 2 quilts using the same panto in the time we did one that afternoon. So before I reconsider, wanted to have some "facts" on the speed factor of using the Intelliquilter versus using just the stitch regulator on the Millennium.

I will readily admit that I am a very efficient (i.e. fast) quilter -- particularly if I am doing a panto. My pantos can have lots of points, but are typically not super dense as neither I nor my customers want that (particularly in a panto).

Kari

Kari

I am sure you can quilt faster than the IQ for a short time but you would be hard pressed to beat it day after day. I can do a queen size quilt with something not too dense in about 4 hours. Keep in mind I can answer the phone, go to the washroom or even make up the customer's bill while the IQ is stitching. If you go onto the IQ website there is a link to all kinds of Youtube videos. There is also a yahoo group for Intelliquilter, if you post there maybe you can find someone close to you willing to do a demo. You're welcome to come here but I'm about a thousand miles east of you.

Nigel

Kari,

Nigel is absolutely right. You can certainly stitch faster freehand. If all you are after is speed then a computerized system may not be the right fit for you.

However, if what you need is to turn over those edge to edge designs to a computer so you can focus on other things, or if you need to relieve some of the body stress from standing at a machine all day... well, that is where a computerized system will excel.

You mentioned you saw a Statler in action. I know nothing about that system but I do know that every person likes to run their computerized system at a different speed. It isn't so much to do with the capabilities of the system but more of the preferences of the quilter.

For me, I like to run my IQ flat out fast. However, when I am around my friend Lorraine, she likes to run her IQ slower. She is always surprised when I crank up the speed and she simply prefers to run it a bit slower then I like. It doesn't mean my way is better or hers is correct. It becomes more of a toilet paper over or toilet paper under kind of question.

One more thing, I don't know if your machine is still under the APQS warranty or not but if it is, my understanding is that a Statler will void the APQS warranty due to the changes they have to make to the internal guts of the machine. IQ and CQ will not void your 8 year APQS warranty.

Deciding to go computerized is a big decision. I know for my business it had doubled the amount of quilts I can do in a year and has, therefore, doubled my profitability and productivity. That alone makes me wish I'd added my IQ earlier than I did. It was a tall cliff when I finally decided to leap but just like my decision to go with an APQS machine... I've never regretted it.

Archived