Threadplay on longarm

I usually do my thread play as the quilting so that the batting works as a stabilizer, for me this has been the best option. You can use an extra layer of batting as the stabilizer. So load just the batting and the top, do the thread work, then layer the whole quilt and quilt it.

Alternatively there are several quite heavy stabilizers available, I can only suggest playing and see what you like. I didn't particularly like any of them. The least bad for me was what looks like loose weave quilting fabric with fusible on it. It did reduce the puckering a lot and didn't change teh feel too much.

Hope that helps, even though it is a bit wooly

Ferret

I took a class from Jamie Whalen (threadfusion)...he doesn't use any stablizer except for the batting and backing. I think one of the reasons it comes out okay is because we can tighten the rollers and the clamps on the side.

I have done some thread play too...I don't use any stablizers.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Ferret I was looking at your new quilt today. The mans face on the red background. Was wondering if that was threadplay. Can you tell me something about your process.

Another question.................when you do just the batting and top do you put them on the same rollers................in other words describe how you load them.

I really like doing threadplay myself and have done both thru all the layers and on just a fabric layer. These were done on my domestic machine before I got my longarm. Figure with a longarm you can really go to town with designs.

Hi,

My mans face is not thread play, it is done entirely with fabric, and then just stipples. The most heavily thread painted ot my quilts is this one.

http://www.ferfab.co.uk/portfolio/showpic.php?dir=quilts&name=skadi.jpg

When I and doing the first pass of thread work without the back of the quilt I mount the batting on it's own as you would the backing and then I just lie the top on it. Pinning or stitching down the edges to hold things in place while I do the thread work. Think about the way you would do faux trapunto, it's the same idea.

I do work very much like you would drawing or painting, building up layers of thread to add colour, detail and texture.

In the portfolio there is another cat which was done using this method, but the thread work is very hard to see in the pictures.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Ferret

Our own forum/chat member Sue Patten is the girl you need to talk to, her computer my still be down, but you can e-mail her at APQS.

Anyway I saw her do thread painting at Innovations in Sept..........

Sue uses good quality cotton batting & I beleive she loads it with the fabric on the same roller (the take-up one).

Here are some pic's from the apqs web site

Archived