skipped stitches (many stitches)

I am having no trouble on my regular muslin. but on the quilt it is another story. I am using superior metallic thread, so fine in the bobbing. the quilt top is batik and the backing has little siver stars all over. ICK. Can it get any harder. The machine is skipping when doing a circle between 7oclock and 10oclock. (the area where you moving the machine backwards to complete the circle. ) I have changed needles, loosened the sandwich, tried a little silicon spray on the batik, cleaned the bobbin. Still won't stitch in that area. skips for about an inch or more. If the lady didn't want snowmen I would forget about the circles. It seems to work ok in other directions. and works fine on musling.

TIA Denise

Hi Denise,

Welcome!

Could it be your timing? That sounded strange! Could your machine timing be off? I had that trouble one time and it ended up the timing was out of whack. I don't believe that happens very easily. Did your needle hit something?

There's a list of things you should check first before you mess with that though. I think the first thread in this Ask the Expert forum has some info that might help.

sorry I'm not a lot of help.

Denise,

It sounds like some difficult fabric. I kind of doubt it is the timing since it works ok on the muslin. Try loosening your fabric tension a little more than what you have it now. That will allow the fabric weave to relax and not over flex the needle so much, which will cause the skipped stitches. If that doesn't work, then by all means, check to make sure the timing isn't off somehow.

Let us know if you need anything else and how you turn out. :)

I finally got things sewing again. Mark I was glad to hear that you thought it was more fabric related then timing. I loosened the fabric, changed bobbing thread , tried different needles, Then I got an old needle from the garbage ( I figured if new & sharp wasn't working maybe old and dull and would enter the fabric different) Low and behold the stitches started to appear. If I pay attention and quilt slow and smooth all is fine. Thanks Denise

Archived