Winding bobbins on a Brother machine?

BethDurand

I've got a lady who is anxiously awaiting the delivery of her George machine. We've been talking about the sidewinder vs. the turbo winder, but she believes that she'll be able to wind them on her DSM which is a Brother. Can anyone confirm this? I can't use my Janome to wind bobbins, but I know that other people with different machines can use theirs.

Thanks

Hi Beth:

It will depend on the kind of Brother machine she has. I use the Brother 1500S for piecing (and when I need to do feed-dogs-up quilting). It uses a size L bobbin just like my George machine. I had a turbo winder but didn't like it. I wind all my George bobbins (steel and aluminum) on my Brother machine. Hope this is helpful to the new George owner. Please encourage her to utilize the forum...we George owners love to share info here. Best, Nancy in Tucson

I love my turbo winder, mostly because it's the most efficient winder I have ever used. It is not only fast, but it has great tension control and seems to get more thread on a bobbin than the winders on the DSM. I have not used a side winder, but they don't look very beefy to me. Of course pre wounds are great, but they can get pricey and you have limited choices of threads and colors.

Guest Linda S

Hmmm - I'm surprised you can't use your Janome. Does it have a drop-in bobbin? In a pinch, I've wound bobbins on my featherweight or my Bernina. Neither of which takes an L bobbin. I now use Magna Glide bobbins almost exclusively, but I've not had a problem winding with any machine.

Welcome to the George section of the APQS family. You will enjoy George. If you ever have the opportunity to get the turbo winder, go for it. The turbo is a great winder and easy to use.

Have fun with George. I have had mine a few years now. Just wish I had time to get all the quilts to him that I have in process--in fabric or in the mind!

Until I got my turbo winder I wound all my bobbins on my Brother 1500 - it worked very well indeed. The turbo winder is just so much faster. But I didn't like the bobbin winder that came with the used Ult 1 that I bought from APQS - don't remember the name, maybe it was a sidewinder. It had a plastic case and was kind of flimsy, but the bobbin tension wasn't good. I wouldn't recommend it.

Archived