Road to California

I submitted two quilts to Road to California hoping to be juried in. these quilts have won awards in other national shows. Neither quilt was accepted!

I am going to Road in January. I will be anxious to see what quilts have been juried in. I bet they are spectaular. I'm wondering if they are looking for more "artsy" quilts versus more traditional looking with a twist.

Anyone else surprised their quilt wasn't accepted?

Guest Linda S

Holly - on the other hand, I had my whole cloth accepted there a few years ago. It's pretty, but it's not a great quilt. Remember - judging is never all that objective. You fall victim to the tastes and whims of the judges. And, for those quilts that are accepted in a show, about 90% of them come home with no ribbon whatsoever. Don't feel bad about it. It just wasn't the show for you. Pick another venue and keep showing those quilts!

That happens, Holly. It happens to the best of us and the best of quilts, too! I've had the same thing happen, a quilt does wonderfully one place and horribly the next. And you are right, some of the shows do prefer the more artsy quilts. If so, then they won't like mine. Also, even though judges are armed with knowledge of what they should look for with the quilts, I think they are still just people and their own likes or dislikes can't help but seep into their judging a little bit, even though I'm sure they try not to. So we just carry on, keep making quilts!! What one judge hates, the next will love. It's fun to show your quilts; I do it a lot, but what really matters is if you love it yourself and the fun you had making it. Then you are a winner when all is said and done.

I've been attending Road to Calif. since it started. They are very fickle in what they accept in quilts and not. I've seen some really unappealing quilts in the show. They are even more fickle about vendors, those accepted and those not. I've known some outstanding quilt shops not accepted in the past. Who knows their reasoning.

Holly:

Glad to hear that you're taking this in stride. It takes a tough skin in order to be a quiltmaker competing at the national level. Lynn is so right. The jury committees and judges do the best they can to be objective & professional but there is really very little consistency from one show to another (or even at one show from one year to another). We've just got to continue making them and entering them. My Beauty Parlor de los Muertos was accepted this year at Road and I'm delighted. I have never been to this show (because our Guild show is the same weekend) but I hear it is well worth a visit.

Keep enjoying our craft and displaying your work where you can so that all of us can enjoy it & be inspired.

Archived