What do I want???? Advice please!!!!

kerileann

I am wanting to get a machine for quilting. Considering a George or a long arm (or maybe a Bernina 820). I am planning on doing art quilts/fiber art as well as quilting. Only quilting I have done is a tiny bit of hand quilting. This will take too long for my needs. My machine doesn't really have the ability to quilt (old hand me down Kenmore). I don't want to be limited in my thread options and want impeccable stitch quality. I also live somewhere that I don't have access to test drive as of yet. I would love any advice in this. I think my quilting will be mostly free hand, but I would enjoy playing with some pantos. My price range will put me in the used category if I get a long arm. (considering APQS, A-1, and Gammill) I also want something that is not finicky and that I could maintain almost entirely on my own. Thanks in advance for any help. I have tops piling up that I would like to do myself. I am ridiculously detailed in my crafts and want outstanding control....micro handles....etc. What have you found helpful? What do you love about your machine? What do you wish was different? (I know they all have strengths... and that it is personal) I have a big king waiting... and will have more.

Hi Kerileann! Brace yourself for an avalanche of answers and opinions!

If possible, try out the machines of any accommodating local longarmers, but be ready for "propaganda" since we are all convinced we bought the best machine made--no matter what the brand is.

Watch here and on other sites with machines for sale to find one in your price range.

There are configurations, price ranges, sizes, and model extras for every need and budget--a very confusing maze to wander through. Make a list of must-haves using your budget as a guide and you will find something to make your eyes light up!

Good luck with your search and know that this site welcomes all, no matter what you own.

**Caution! Propaganda ahead!**

APQS makes many models of a great machine and have the best customer service you could ever wish for.

I want to chime in and tell you not to have any hesitation about purchasing used. Most all brand of machines are really made to be workhorses and last.

My own machine was purchased new, in 1994 and used very little by a community center. Then it was taken apart, with the machine head stored in a shed (like where you put your lawn & garden tools) for maybe a decade?? The other parts were in a basement during that time. (I have come to the conclusion that they had a lot of ladies using it, and making different adjustments here and there, and that caused inconsistant stitching and became impossible to correct. Thus they just gave up and put it away.)

Believe me I was worried. I took it home, plugged it in, and it ran like a top. So, even if the previous owner wasn't the best, the machine will likely survive it just fine. ;)

Thanks for the start of responses and encouragement!! I am feeling more and more confident in a used machine. I would really love a bliss system or an A-1 because they sound so smooth. And then theres that special mode APQS put on so that the SR mode doesn't just stop abruptly. So many amazing new advancements. Would love a machine that has some of these. It's a pie in the sky dream maybe to get these features now. Is it better to start with simple and upgrade later?

It sounds like a used Lenni on a standard, horizontal wheel table would be a perfect fit for you. Plus, used machines from APQS come with a one year warranty.

All of your criteria match up with APQS's considerable strengths. There is a a reason APQS customers are so happy!

I have a used Lenni and I just sent you a U2U with the info.

HTH!

Hi!! Welcome!! I bought my APQS Millie without test driving. I had been to the Houston Quilt Show about 4 years prior, and had just messed around on an A-1. So, I really had nothing to really go on. I got on this site, saw all the postive feedback from owners of APQS and took the plunge!! I sure am glad I did!! I had some problems with my machine when I first got it... kept having problems.... APQS ended up sending me a new machine!!! Now, THAT"S service for ya!!! I have not had a lick of trouble since and it's 3 years later~ I am EXTREMELY pleased with the service I have had and I love my "Gracie"!! If there is a "road show" coming near you, go to that. Also, I had called APQS and requested the video they have to show about the machine. They sent that to me and I fell in love... the rest is history!! You wouldn't be sorry with APQS... used or new!! linda

A Lenni would be perfect for your idea of creating art quilts. Lenni is a great machine, on a very stable table, will take any type of thread you load. Keep an eye out for used Lenni machines, and watch for sales on new ones. You can't go wrong with Lenni. If I were going to do art quilts I would buy the Lenni without hesitation. Just sayin'. ;)

All machine manufacturers have made some huge advancements in the ease of moving their machines or stitch quality in the last few years.

Be aware when buying a used machine that it may not have the lastest "bells and whistles" on it.

When comparing the machines also make sure you are comparing machines that have similar add ons.

If at all possible, check to see where there is a Road Show to see the various APQS models. I had always thought of Lenni for myself if I could get a frame machine, when I was at the road show, I was shown the difference in my personal body position between Lenni and Lucey and the Freedom and Milli handles. The L & L handles are stationary vertical, the F & M handles are adjustable horizontal as well as are closer to me as I stretch to the back of the frame with the machine. The vertical handles on L and L would shorten the quilting space that I could reach well (I'm 5 foot even). The handles on F and M would give me better control and more space available.

The other surprise I found at the road show was the breakdown of the pricing with figures of how many quilts you would need to quilt each month to pay for the machine in how many years with the different priced machines. A real eye-opener.

I have George and have found him to be very good, I can run all kinds and weights of thread that I have tried. I have done queen and king sized quilts on it, but would like to create the space to get a machine on a frame.

Enjoy your search. Call APQS for more info to help in your search.

You mentioned George specifically so I thought I'd weigh in. George is the perfect quilting machine for those who don't have the space to accommodate a longarm on a frame or for those who are already proficient at machine quilting on a domestic machine. Since it sounds like you have sufficient space for a frame and that you will have a learning curve just switching to machine quilting anyway, I'd steer you towards the APQS Lenni. Most of us here are completely happy with the company's machines and customer service.

Any longarm machine is, however, a big investment and each one feels very different when operating, I would strongly suggest that you get yourself to one of the larger quilt shows to test drive a few brands & models. Good luck with your research....keep us posted! Nancy (George owner & rep) in Tucson

I bought an APQS Millenium last year, and I love it!! That being said, my advice would be to do what I did. I went to shows and test drove all the major brands. I bought what i did because of several factors.

One: the maintanance seemed easier,

two: the tension seemed easier to control,

three: I love the bliss system ( I can control it better). But I have a friend that says she feels out of control with it because it moves to easy :P:P:P

FOUR: I love the advance system.

So, try them all, before you buy, if you can.

@ Madeline: Thanks for the feedback on the handles. (very helpful to be made aware of this difference) Wondering if you have taken any client quilts to be done on George. I am considering this as a starting point, but am not sure if it is really feasible. (Don't see it being a very long term fix I guess though)

I would consider the green machines that apqs offers too. I own a green millennium and a liberty...both great machines. The liberty I purchased used. The previous owner couldn't get the hang of it...but it is a fabulous machine. I upgraded the wheels...but that is all I did to it. Runs like a champ.

The green millie I bought from apqs. It is not upgradable. It's only downfall I believe. I have never had any problems with my millie. I remember being told by apqs that if you can handle buying a machine with a used body...but new guts...lesser warranty...than the green machines are great. I went that route...and couldn't be happier. I saved thousands of dollars over a new millennium.

I live in a northern Canada community and APQS and any service or reps are a long way from me. i purchased a used APQS FREEDOM in 2007, and upgraded that one to a used APQS FREEDOM in 2009 with Stitch regulator. Both machines came with a one year factory warranty, both machines were refurbished at the factory prior to being sent to me. I have never, NEVER, had any problem with my machines that i could not either fix myself or fix with help from the knowledgeable Techs at the Factory. long after the warranty is gone, you can call and they will be friendly helpful and concerned and will make sure that you are up and running in no time.

customer service is impeccable

machine maintenance is EASY

machine reliability is fantastic!

my machine runs daily, sometimes 8 hours a day and she never tires.

APQS is tops in my books, this Forum is a must for a newbie...and I have no regrets. buying used has been a wonderful experience for me and it sounds like you will be busy and need a bigger frame as you have king size tops. If you have the room go for a 14ft frame, if not, 12 ft is minimum for king size quilts.

Good luck!

Kerileann, Since you are planning to take customer quilts, I would suggest that you seriously get a frame model. I think you will be happier with the nature of the space you are working in. The George they sell now does not come with the full cabinet table that I have mine in. My quilts still pull off the sides when they are big, that puts a strain on the movement of quilting. I don't do pantos with George. I think you would also be able to complete the quilts quicker with the frame than with the fluff and stuff method used with George.

I saw on one of your other posts, that you are taller than I am. Be sure to check into the lift for the table. When Lucy showed me that it the road show it was another eye opener. She showed how the height of the handles on the front are really different position than they are on the back--so think of where you want to be holding your arms and shoulders. The lift changed that position in just seconds.

I would encourage you to check them all out, and go for the one that you really want, otherwise you would likely be wanting to trade in/up shortly and have a harder time moving the first one on.

I don't have much to add to all the kudo's above on APQS machines, reliability and customer service. Customer service was my main reason for going with APQS. Do try to take a test drive. There is a big difference from quilting on a stand alone machine vs a longarm. I couldn't quilt on a domestic very well at all. I love my longarm!

Two years ago I had the same dilemna that you have now. I wanted a top machine and eventually chose the Millenium. I LOVE MY MACHINE!!! I eliminated the Gammill because it had more tension discs and was a heavier machine. The way the poles are arranged didn't allow me to look under the quilt, which I do all the time. My friend has an A1. She's a beautiful quilter but she's had tension issues with her machine. I don't know anything about mechanics, but I do know that the tension assembly on the APQS machines are different.

My one concern was the smaller bobbin, but I find that I don't mind it at all. And now, you can get the bigger bobbin with the new Millenium. APQS gives an 8 year warranty on their machines so they know they're not liable to break down. A used machine will be cheaper but you won't get the bliss system or the bigger bobbin. So you need to decide what you want in a machine.

APQS is MADE IN AMERICA. That's important to me. Companies are farming their work to China and Mexico so they make a better profit, but it doesn't help Americans. Decide what you want in a machine and buy the best that you can afford. I wish I had room for the 14 foot table but I didn't. I can still do king sized quilts, but would prefer more space. Good luck with your choice. I hope you'll be as happy with the machine you pick as I am with mine.

Archived