What do I want???? Advice please!!!!

kerileann

Keri, where in MT do you live, I am in NE MT and have a George that you could test drive if you wanted to. I love the George, space was an issue so went with this machine. I do like the free motion quilting part of it, but I can also tell you, that the older I get and the bigger the quilt gets--the more I feel the stress on my shoulders and arms--shoving it around. I bought sight unseen, and no test drive. But do not regret it either. Good luck on your search, that is part of the fun... Judy

Keri. don't forget the DEMO models. I bought the APQS FREEDOM SR this Spring that was one of the demo machines and I love it, cost was less and had several upgrades and still cheaper then regular and has the 8 yr warrenty. I love it!!!!! I had never tested an APQS but had tried others and talked to several people and read this forum for about 2 years and that helped. I had a mega quilter and knew what I wanted in my next machine and the handles was the major selling point for me as my wrists would hurt if I quilted longer than an hour or so. Make that list and check it over and no matter what you decide have fun with it, good luck and happy quilting.

Thanks to all that have given me something to chew on. This is a very new idea for me and I don't know anyone who's brain I can pick locally... yet. I am taking all of this feedback as well as the info in about a hundred other threads that I have read and am getting a pretty good education thanks to all of you. THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

-Keri

• 2 months later...

This is just my opinion. I have 2 Bernina machines a 440QQE and the new big throated 820. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The Bernina's are domestic, home sewing machines not industrial like the longarms. The Bernina stitch regulators are nothing like the longarms either. You will pay as much or more for a Bernina then a used longarm which could come with the same or better warranty then Bernina. I'm not against Bernina in fact I wouldn't trade my 440 for anything. APQS is a great company to work with, their customer service is number one. Oh and by the way, George is a longarm, it's just stationary (move the quilt instead of machine). Plus with APQS you get all of us, and quilters with other machines. Have fun shopping!!!!

• 8 months later...

I own a gammill vision, affectionately named godzilla, we're in love :-) I tried the apqs machines as well before I bought, and I'll tell you it was a tough choice and both would have suited my needs, both are just awesome machines. I'd encourage you to tae the bernina off your lists. don't get me wrong, I love bernina, have two of them. but if what you are after is long arm quilting, then get a long arm quilting machine, you'll get a machine specifically designed for that purpose. JMO, you're paying for features on the 820 you'll never use (unless you haul it off your frame every time you want to use it to sew) and using a machine that has its foundation basis in sewing cannot compete with what a long arm can do. good luck in our search what ever you decide will be the right choice for you!

Archived