Old v M&M v Bliss

kerileann

Hi--the George is a sit-down machine. It doesn't have wheels--the fabric is manipulated under the needle. If you are wanting to start a business, look at the Lenni, Freedom, Milli, etc. Those are the workhorses you will want for business quilting, especially if you are concerned about repetitive-motion problems.

If you are asking about wheels--much has been discussed and it seems most are thrilled with the smooth quilting using the M&M wheels. The Bliss is a new rail system. It uses M&Ms on the carriage--horizontally--and the carriage has a ball-bearing system that sits vertically on a steel rod. All have their fans so you will want to try as many out as you can manage.

My 2 cents, get the biggest and best machine that you can afford. This is pretty much a once in a lifetime investment, so be sure you get what you want. As dad and grandpa said, "There's no such thing as a good, cheap tool."

I'm sure all of us would recommend trying out as many different types of machines as you can, different models as well as brands. You're need to find that one that fits you best. Linda always gives the best advice, and she's right about how you'll want to look at the other machines that are on frames.

Good luck in your research, and keep us posted on what you decide.

If you will be quilting for others, I'd stick with one of the machines that can be put on the top of the line table simply because you can have a motorized fabric advance added to those tables.

If you are worried about body fatigue and carpal tunnel, you won't want a table where you have to manually advance the quilt sandwich (ie- Lenni or Lucey).

I would take a serious look at the Freedom or Millennium since you are concerned about wrist/hand movements and would be quilting as a business. If you were just doing your own stuff it wouldn't be a huge issue as you won't be quilting so many hours a week.

Between the Freedom and the Millennium there is very little difference. There are only 2 features that can be found on the Millennium that aren't on the Freedom. Those two are: bobbin thread cutter and electronic channel locks.

For me, I use the electronic channel locks every single time I advance a quilt. So, those are a big deal for me. The Freedom has a manual channel lock on the left to right movement only. Millennium it is a button and you can lock out the wheels going either left to right or front to back.

I use the channel locks to keep my quilt square to the table. Every time I advance the quilt, I turn on my channel lock with my hopping foot up against a horizontal sashing seam. then I walk the machine down the quilt adjusting as I go to keep it square to the table.

HTH!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by AHuffman

If you will be quilting for others, I'd stick with one of the machines that can be put on the top of the line table simply because you can have a motorized fabric advance added to those tables.

If you are worried about body fatigue and carpal tunnel, you won't want a table where you have to manually advance the quilt sandwich (ie- Lenni or Lucey).

I would take a serious look at the Freedom or Millennium since you are concerned about wrist/hand movements and would be quilting as a business. If you were just doing your own stuff it wouldn't be a huge issue as you won't be quilting so many hours a week.

Between the Freedom and the Millennium there is very little difference. There are only 2 features that can be found on the Millennium that aren't on the Freedom. Those two are: bobbin thread cutter and electronic channel locks.

For me, I use the electronic channel locks every single time I advance a quilt. So, those are a big deal for me. The Freedom has a manual channel lock on the left to right movement only. Millennium it is a button and you can lock out the wheels going either left to right or front to back.

I use the channel locks to keep my quilt square to the table. Every time I advance the quilt, I turn on my channel lock with my hopping foot up against a horizontal sashing seam. then I walk the machine down the quilt adjusting as I go to keep it square to the table.

HTH!

It is so helpful to hear how you use your channel locks. I was trying to figure out how I would keep the quilt square. Thanks for sharing!

-Keri

Originally posted by AHuffman

HTH!

It is so helpful to hear how you use your channel locks. I was trying to figure out how I would keep the quilt square. Thanks for sharing!

-Keri

Keri,

I chose the Millenium because of the channel locks. I use them to keep everything square, too. But I never thought to do it as I advanced the quilt. Love this forum. We both have long arms and I love the bigger space of the the Freedom and Millenium. When I'm quilting a 2 inch border up or down the side of the quilt, I use the entire space so I don't have to advance as much. Being tall does have its advantages.

• 1 month later...

LOL I started out being 5'3" and apparently now I am 5'2 1/2". I have a Millenium and have never encountered a problem with reaching all the quilting surfaces. Truthfully, I never gave that a thought when I bought my machine. Maybe I have long arms too! After 11 years, my machine still hums along like a champ. I did upgrade to the M & M wheels and love them. I probably will never upgrade to the Bliss system, and unfortunately, my old machine does not have the correct electronics to add the quilt glide. :(

Archived