Just starting out....

I have had my machine for a year now and have been doing charity quilts for one of our local guilds an love doing them, however, in August of this year I started charging customers for my work. I recently stopped into one of our local shops in the area with a few samples of my work, thinking this would be a good way to get the word out that I was available. Much to my surprise she handed me a quilt with backing and batting and said, "Show me what you can do, so I can show my customers." My gut tells me to do this as a freebie in hopes that she will refer me in the future, but wanted to get everyon's opinion.

Ditto what Sharon said.

Do your best to knock her socks off, but stay with the feeling of the quilt. Don't do micro stitching on a Thimbleberries or elaborate designs on busy fabric where it won't show. I'm sure you get what I'm saying and congratulations on your foot-in-the-door opportunity!

I can't seem to post a picture of this quilt, but of all things it is pieced out of batiks..... to be specific a rainbow of pinks and purples....and you know how fussy they can be with needle marks. So I have chosen one of my favorite pantos, "Clematis". I do not want to do any frogging on this thing....but I wanat it to look noce. Anykind of quilting, in my opinion is not going to show up very well because of the fabric.

Julie I'd follow Angela's advice. I always provide an invoice so that we're all clear what it costs to get the quilt done. If you're trying to drum up business one freebie for the shop is a good deal. If the shop is going to allow you to drop off and pick-up then you might want to consider a discount every so often or even a freebie to compensate for their time.

Originally posted by kisoto

I am ready to order my long arm on the 16th and would like to know how long it will take to be delivered to London, Kentucky?

Thanks for any information.

Kim

Hi Kim. As Cheri suggested, ask when you place your order and they can give you an idea of how long it will take. Sometimes you must wait a bit while you machine is being built and sometimes there are machines ready to ship right away. They will give you contact information for the freighting company and it's all up to them.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on making a great choice of an APQS machine.

Archived