Have you flossed recently?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I know this isn't in the maintenance manual, and it's probably not even recommended, but I wanted to tell you what happened to me. Remember about a few weeks ago, when I asked if anyone had adjusted their mag collar? Well, it ended up that my mag collar was just fine, but my bobbin thread kept getting caught in the hook at about 8 o'clock and snapping. In frustration, I called and talked to Dawn and decided to order a new hook because I was sure I had somehow damaged mine and it was going to be a perpetual problem. Well, the hook took a while to get here, and I was so frustrated with not being able to quilt, that I took my base off my machine, cleaned, WD40'd, air blasted, wiped, Qtipped, every little point down to try and get the darn thing to work. Finally, out of frustration, I took some Glide dental floss and inserted an end into the hook from the top, pulled it out through the front of the hook, and worked my way down. It got stuck and frayed a few times, but I finally got down to the part where the thread was snapping all the time (where it shredded again) and kept working it. I am now quilting away with the smoothest sounding, no problem machine I've had in years!!

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have a severe problem like I had -- I figured there would be no harm done since I had another hook on the way (which I will keep handy in case I have any further problems), but this should just serve as a lesson that things need to be REALLY well cleaned every now and then. I obviously had some piece of grit stuck in the hook that kept breaking my thread and it is gone, gone, gone. All with some dental floss! :cool:

Guest Linda S

No, I never did see what was in there. I used a really long piece of floss and had to keep working at it, as it really shredded a lot when I started and took a while to smooth down. I wanted to be sure there would be no floss shreds left in the machine. As I say -- you might only want to do this in cases of desperation, unless someone from APQS tells us that this is an okay thing to do, as I've never seen it in the manual. I just remembered, when I first started quilting, I was told to have some emery cord available in case I got rough spots somewhere. I always thought to myself that the emery would do more scratching, so I never bought it. When I remembered that, I thought - well, what about a nice thin, smooth piece of floss like Glide? It worked for me, but I did have a spare part on hand just in case!!

Archived