Prayers for 14 year old daughter please..we are home

Our daughter, taylor, was flown to the childrens hospital in slc saturday night. She was believed to have had a simple ear infection and virus.

Sunday evening she underwent surgery to remove the mastoid bone behind the ear due to infection, had a drain put in, ear tube in middle ear...and...she has a clot in the vein in her head that drains the blood from her brain on the one side. The other side is able to keep up and do the work of both veins...however...they are looking into the reason the infection took hold so severely, and why the clot...and is it changing in size. She wil undergo another mri this morning.

My husband is here with us...my kids with their grandparents. She is expected to remain in the hospital for some time...next week possibly before she is allowed to go home.

when she goes home, it will be on an iv antibiotic for several weeks.

Please pray for the blood clot, that it does not continue to increase in size, the constant headaches she is having, and that she gets better. The ear is fixed and is looking better. She is not in pain with the ear.

One last thing, friday is her 15th birthday. if you could send her an email to kristina (at) doniker (dot) com ....she would love to know how much she is prayed for and thought of.

To refresh everyone...taylor drives the racecar, plays soccer, is our oldest child of 7...and is a freshman in high school.

Thanks, kristina

Update: the blood clot is not increasing...good news. Also, the infection is decreasing...good news. lots more blood work and medications...but on the mend. We certainly hope the headaches subside. thats the next battle we can see. Thanks for the prayers! Our Lord is good.

Update#2: she is no longer on oxygen. Her headaches and lack of eating are the 2 largest factors right now that we can see to contend with. She tries to move around..but is limited by her headaches. The blood clot may be the contributing factor here. She started shots last night for anticoagulants. No fun...but necessary for a few months. Sven was very upset that she too is taking shots in her thin belly. She will be limited for some time on her activity...but should be able to resume track/field and driving in the spring. Many more doctor visits are in her future for quite a while... Meaning lots of travel for us.

Thank you all for your prayers. The Lord is working wonders.

Update#3: today is taylors birthday. she is in more pain today. Very sleepy, drinking less and just isn't moving around as much as she should. She feels blah! My husband and other kids should be here soon to try to cheer her up. She received flowers and balloons today and had some doctors come bearing gifts as well. I am hoping she perks up a bit tonight and wants to go for a walk. It would be good for her we are shooting for monday to be discharged...but she has to feel much better than she does now. Time will only tell I guess. Her doctors are keeping a good eye on her today...and will continue to monitor her blood draws. I wish I had better news...but that is how today is going.

Update#4: taylor threw up last night and again this morning. Is back on iv fluids...and has no desire to drink or hardly get out of bed. No fever. Headache still sharp. Teeth are aching. My inlaws came to slc today...stayed a couple of hours..and drove the kids home tonight. My husband wil stay the night and go home tomorrow. The doctors are still planning a monday discharge...although, I do not see how. I hate to not be optimistic...but she isn't as strong as she was 2 days ago. The plus side...she is sleeping some...and when pain comes on..she is trying to manage it with ice packs since she doesn't like how the pain meds make her feel.

WE ARE HOME! Released after lunch and just drove in last night. We met with home health when we got here and started in on her iv antibiotics. I had to learn a new system for infusing it...but I believe we are going to do okay. Her belly is awful sore and bruised from her anticoagulant shots. She will not be going to school for the next few weeks..so I need to arrange for assignments to be sent home. And possibly a tutor to get taylor caught up.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. Taylor has an amazing nursing staff and wonderful doctors. Her surgeon is pleased with how things turned out considering the massive clot. The Heme/Onc department hopes that the clot wil subside a bit, but expects that it will be encapsulated and new veins to grow on its place. This may take a year or more.

The good news...taylor is home and is looking good. She will be closely monitored and will be fine.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived