Those modern quilts

I am getting more modern quilts from younger customers. While it is great to see the young'ns joining the family of quilters, I am having to adjust how I approach these quilts where the focus is fabric and color and not design.

I find I am using more simple-line designs, geometrics, and swirls. This is a breather for me from heavy custom and welcomed.

Any one else have some feed-back on modern quilts? The last one I had this week was just columns of random-width beach-y fabric alternating with pale sky-blue strips.

When Dennis viewed it--quilted with big swirls--he had a one word comment. "Boring"

It came out OK and she loved it. She used her scraps to make a pieced strip in the backer because she "didn't want any extra fabric just laying around that she wouldn't use"!!!

I guess a stash lesson is in order! Maybe if I nudged her over to Bonnie Hunter's blog she would snap out of it!

It's our job ladies to get these creative young piecers to keep stimulating the quilty economy so we will have stores to shop while we try to deplete our stashes!:P

Guest Linda S

I have to admit that I like getting these quilts because just about all you can do with them is a simple panto or all-over design of some sort. As you say, a very welcomed break from custom. It really does sound like she needs a stash lesson. Perhaps you should suggest she have SEX - Stash Enhancement eXperience! :P

Linda I too have a hard time with those modern ones but I think you hit the nail right on the head. Lots of straight lines, geometrics and swirls. When in doubt I ask my daughter. She likes much more geometric kind of shapes and isn't really into feathers (I know can you imagine?). LOL Anyway she is always my go to person. She doesn't however like all those super loud fabrics so I won't be getting any of those from her!

The one remaining LQS in my area sells only these kinds of fabrics. They hold Modern Quilt Guild meeting at the store too. I have grown to like them although it becomes difficult using my stash fabrics because the modern fabrics are so different. If I need more fabric to use in a quilt using some of my older fabric I have to either shop online or wait till I am on a trip. Another trend seems to be big stitch hand quilting. It goes well with the large designs that the modern type quilts use. I took a class a few weeks ago and the woman teaching made a comment about not knowing how traditional I am. I learned that what she meant by traditional was wether or not I matched my seams. I guess seams that don't meet and match are considered modern, LOL. As with any style quilt I like some more than others. At least it is bringing in some younger quilters to continue the craft. Perhaps some of the older type fabrics will eventually grown on the younger quilters!

Sue

Originally posted by seakitten

What is "extra fabric"?

Exactly!!!

Occasionally my sister shops my stash for a perfect color or favorite batik. I have a medium-sized stash and don't have much time for piecing so it's a static "collection" rather than a stash. In spite of that, if she picks out one of my faves to "borrow" I tell her no, not that one!:P

Angela Walters, of http://quiltingismytherapy.com and quilter for Tula Pink and other designers, will be teaching a couple classes at MQS this year focusing on quilting for the modern quilt. She will be teaching “Machine Quilting for the Modern Quilt” as a lecture and a demo and a lecture, “Blogging for Business”. I think she does a wonderful job complementing the modern style quilts.

Angela is fantastic! She has a book coming out as well. What I've seen on the solids is anywhere from lines to swirls to Leah Day style. There are several new modern quilting books coming out in the Spring. Can't wait!

I just got in "Modern Blocks" and will be doing a giveaway soon.

www.auntiepami.blogspot.com

Archived