vertical lock

Hi Sheila,

Check both front and back handles to see if the lock works. If the solenoid isn't making a click when the button is pressed, something is not connected. There is a cable at the back of the machine that has a square connector--the cable connects the lock on the carriage (the horizontal lock) to the body of the machine. Make sure the connection into the machine is secure.

If the solenoid is seating correctly, be advised that the channel locks on the round rails of the Bliss are very loose. There isn't a way to adjust the locks to be more secure, as far as I have been told, so engaging the horizontal lock to stitch vertical lines requires a very light touch to not over-ride the lock. But it can be done.

Sheila,

Look at your carriage axle underneath the carriage itself--where the cable plugs in. Just under the jack you'll see two silver screws that are parallel with each other, and one that is slightly higher.

Loosen the two screws that are parallel just a little bit, and slide them left or right (they won't go far). There is a little "adjusting room" in the screw holes just behind those screws which allow you to slide the channel lock assembly closer or farther away from the arm that locks in to the teeth on the channel lock disk. I apologize, but I'm not near a carriage at the moment so that I can double-check which direction to push the screws. One way will make the assembly even farther away from the ratcheting arm and it won't hold at all, and the other way will latch it into the teeth further.

If this doesn't do the trick let us know and we'll go to the next step!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

On the vertical lock, on the left side of the machine where the laser plugs in, a small vertical arm is pulled forward to engage the teeth of the horizontal cog. The six sided small post that supports this arm cannot turn but there is a tiny bit of forward and back play. With a Phillips screw driver slightly loosen the screw under this post. A mirror is useful to do this. Once loose, hold the post more tightly against the cog and then tighten again. For the arm to fully enter the gap between the teeth, this adjustment is very easy to do. Bear in mind that a heavy hand can slide the whole machine along the runners despite the lock, so rather than hold the control handles, push with one hand on the U part of the handle or actually push the machine base, which avoids any opposing pressure. Happy quilting.